Cargo weight revamping

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Akarin
Hobo

Re: Cargo weight revamping Unread post

I have the autorack one downloaded, just haven't installed it yet. When you do get back to the hoppers, you think you'll include ore and rock since you already started touching on other 1.06 cargo with the box cars?

I've also gone back and retested all your other stuff with WP&P's express cars and produce cars. Granted I was only checking in sandbox mode, but I ran into no issues.
Gumboots
CEO

If it works in a sandbox it will work in any game. !*th_up*!

And yes, the hoppers will include ore and rock.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Y'know I should forget about revamping the hoppers until I have other stuff sorted. They're good enough for the moment, although the current iron ore cargo looks a bit lurid. I might try desaturating that a bit. I can whip up versions for rock and ore pretty easily if I leave the modelling alone. Next question is: what sort of ore is 1.06 ore supposed to be? We already have iron ore and aluminum ore (ie: bauxite) so presumably the other one has to look like something else. I suppose something sorta greyish would cover a few bases (lead, manganese, etc). Might try that. !*th_up*!

Anyway I dragged the reefers out and threw a bit more detail at those. Still needs rationalising, but it's progress I suppose.

Progress_of_sorts.jpg

And yes, I know some of the skins are still flipped on one side. Told ya it still needed rationalising.

Incidentally I'm coming to loathe RT3 trucks and wheels. It's not as if nobody ever knew which sorts had actually been used, or that pictures of them weren't available, but for some stupid reason all the RT3 ones are some sort of weird mutant thing that looks completely wrong. I should get a good library of decent trucks and wheels set up in Blender, so they can be used for any range of cars.

Akarin
Hobo

I always took ore to be a catch all to include ores for any metals that aren't iron or aluminum. Since ingots are ending up in electronic plants and machinery shops along side steel & aluminum I would think the best example would be copper especially if we take into account the early 18th century machine shop supply chain (based off the fixed machine shop here http://hawkdawg.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1804). Plus I think copper is up there with the most used metals probably the third most widely used. Titanium and zinc wouldn't make sense in the early game while lead wouldn't make much sense in the later game. The majority of manganese is used in the steel industry so I don't think that would work that great either.

Actually now that I think about it, a lead-zinc combo would be a strong contender since lead and zinc mining go hand in hand. It appears galena still has some uses in electronics too, not to mention batteries.
Last edited by Akarin on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Good thinking. Copper is the logical choice. In that case it makes sense to do the cargo as chalcopyrite, which is the most common ore globally and has a distinctive colour.

The machine shop in 1.06 is, like so many other things, slightly borked. The start date for the Machinery cargo should really be changed to 1860, because you need Oil to make it and that's when Oil starts. I think someone did do this. Can't remember where it is, but it should be kicking around the forum somewhere. It's an easy change anyway. Just needs a couple of bytes changed in the .cty. Bytes 33 to 36 inclusive have to be edited from 08 07 00 00 to 44 07 00 00.

Akarin
Hobo

Oh sorry I went back and made some edits before you posted. I found the fixed machine shop and said this
Actually now that I think about it, a lead-zinc combo would be a strong contender since lead and zinc mining go hand in hand. It appears galena still has some uses in electronics too, not to mention batteries.
I think either would be fine, but if you wanted to stick to the cargo icon color then the zinc-lead idea would be best. Though copper ore would make for some interesting cargo models I might add.
Gumboots
CEO

Could do it as a mix of cuprite, malachite and chalcopyrite just to confuse people and make it look really gruesome. :lol:

Lead and zinc are big over here, with silver as a by-product, being what the Broken Hill mining complex is based on. Galena is easy on the eyes too. I could just use the bauxite skin and desaturate it. Ok, will do that then. !*th_up*!

I'll see if I can get them done tonight, since they're not really a big deal.

Gumboots
CEO

Have got the files set up and renamed for Rock and Ore. Will do the skins tonight if I'm not too tired.

I love Windows PowerShell. Anyone who gets into modding really needs to learn PowerShell basics. It leaves standard command line for dead. :-D

Gumboots
CEO

Ok, updated hopper pack. Includes Rock and Ore for 1.06. Cargo skins for those look like this:

H_era_Ore_and_Rock.jpg

If you have the earlier hopper pack running on 1.05 I recommend you replace all 1.05 EngineTypes files anyway. There is no need to replace any other 1.05 files if you have the earlier pack.

At some point I think I should make a final pack which has car colours assigned by cargo for all eras (ie: black cars for coal, sorta rusty for iron, etc) but that is on the back burner for now.

Edit: I'll whip up extra 1.06 files for the covered hopper pack too.

Gumboots
CEO

Ok, now have 1.06 cargo files for the covered hopper pack (this one) and debugged 1.06 cargo files for the boxcar pack.

Both are attached below. !*th_up*!

When I get the reefers together I'll make sure they have the 1.06 Medicine included.