Cargo weight revamping

A private forum for those folks working on patches for RRT3.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Cargo weight revamping Unread post

Yes I was thinking of toning that down anyway, as part of the final tidying up. !*th_up*!

I was more wondering if people thought the set as a whole "flowed" well. The Jagdpanther idea I had for weapons cars wasn't popular, so I thought I'd see if anyone had concerns about this lot. I realise the A pax/mail in temporary combination with A troops isn't perfect, but once past that hurdle I think the set is pretty good.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Ok dudes and dudettes, I have a minor bugfix for my custom boxcars pack.

This just sorts out a few bytes so that boxcars carrying Goods, Rubber and Tires will display the correct cargo icons on the ends of the cars.
Thanks to new enlightenment found today, I now know how to fix them, so they're fixed.

Goods_and_Rubber_boxcar_icons.jpg

It's only three .cty files, and they get dropped in Data/CargoTypes to replace the existing files. Easy. Zip attached. !*th_up*!

Gumboots
CEO

Ok, finally got motivated to sort out the reefer and flatcar cargoes for the new 8 eras.

At the moment they all work, but to get them running I've used default reefer and flatcar models and skins. So they'll change weight 7 times instead of 3 times, and they have the custom weights to match the rest of the custom cargo cars, but they still look like default PopTop cars of the same era.

Getting this result for flatcar cargoes required having a separate car type for each cargo. Basically, the default flatcar system has to be ditched entirely and new cars made for all cargoes. It just won't work otherwise. With seven cargoes, and eight eras for most of them, my enthusiasm for inventing oodles of cargo models and cars for every cargo for every era sorta ran out. At some point I'll probably get enthused enough to give some of them custom meshes and skins, but this was me just wanting the @&@!% things running. So, they run now. (0!!0)

The only really new cars are the Pulpwood cars. Pulpwood is now carried on flatcars instead of in covered hoppers, much like WP&P's old pulpwood flats. Those only had default eras and weights, while the new ones have the full custom eras and weights. They look like this:

New_Pulpwood_8_eras.jpg

Note that because they are using default PopTop models for the cars themselves, the B and C eras share the same cars. Ditto for D and E eras. Ditto again for F, G and H eras. However, you can still tell when they change weight, because the reefers change weight when the stock cars and hoppers and tankers and pax and mail cars and cabooses change weight, and all of those already have individual models and skins for all eras.

Similar deal with the flatcars. The flatcars change weight when the autoracks and boxcars and troop cars change weight, and all of those are already meshed and skinned for all eras, so you can still tell when your flatcars are getting heavier if you notice what the other cars are doing. !*th_up*!

Zips are attached, for the new reefers and the new flatcars. Note that the xReefer zip contains 1 CargoTypes and 1 EngineTypes file for 1.06's Medicine cargo, and obviously those files (one .cty and one. cct) should only be copied into a 1.06 installation.

Akarin
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:09 pm Ok, finally got motivated to sort out the reefer and flatcar cargoes for the new 8 eras.

Note that because they are using default PopTop models for the cars themselves, the B and C eras share the same cars. Ditto for D and E eras. Ditto again for F, G and H eras. However, you can still tell when they change weight, because the reefers change weight when the stock cars and hoppers and tankers and pax and mail cars and cabooses change weight, and all of those already have individual models and skins for all eras

Zips are attached, for the new reefers and the new flatcars. Note that the xReefer zip contains 1 CargoTypes and 1 EngineTypes file for 1.06's Medicine cargo, and obviously those files (one .cty and one. cct) should only be copied into a 1.06 installation.
Thanks for the hard work! I am currently using WP&P's produce reefer pack. I just installed your reefer pack and it works fine on new games (for some reason saved games won't use your cars even after stopping at a station - this includes alcohol remaining in boxcars, which isn't related to WP&P). WP&P used FruitRefr.PK4 in the UserExtraContent and Fruit.cct/FruitA-D.car/FruitA-D.cgo in the EngineTypes folder. Is there any reason I would have to get rid of them at the moment? I will delete them eventually, but there doesn't seem to be any conflicts with your produce reefers and removing them now corrupts existing saved games.
Gumboots
CEO

No, they wouldn't work with saved games. Any modification that changes cargo assignation and file names for assets won't work with saves, because the saved game will always be locked to the previous format.

If the saved games are running fine with WP&P's fruit reefers then keeping them is entirely up to you.

Edit: Come to think of it, if you like the idea it would be quite easy to adapt WP&P's fruit reefers to this format. It only requires duplicating some assets for re-use of models and textures across multiple eras, along with editing change years and weights in the .car files. That should still be compatible with saved games, as it shares the same formatting. The extra eras should integrate smoothly.

Akarin
Hobo

Gumboots wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:35 pm No, they wouldn't work with saved games. Any modification that changes cargo assignation and file names for assets won't work with saves, because the saved game will always be locked to the previous format.

If the saved games are running fine with WP&P's fruit reefers then keeping them is entirely up to you.
The saved game is just there so I have a late game to test things on. I don't plan on going back to it it was a scenario I need to go back and edit. As I said, I'll remove those files eventually as in whenever I get around editing my scenarios again.

Now here's a mystery. I just d/l the flatcar pack and while I was adding the files to the Enginetypes folder, I realized there was already a Pulpwood.cct file there. I checked in game and pulpwood cars were using double closed hoppers from your xHopCover_RC3 pack. But when I check out the pack, including the original zip file, there was no Pulpwood.cct file. To make things more mysterious, the file was timestamped with the exact same date and time as the other xHopCover_RC3 cargoes. Am I going crazy or did you release a pulpwood pack and I just didn't save the original zip file?
Gumboots
CEO

The only thing I did previously was put hopper cargoes in doubles, with the new eras and weights. That included pulpwood since it's a hopper cargo by default, and it included a .cct file since that's needed to use custom car types (which is what I suspect .cct stands for). You'll still need the new .cct because the car type has been changed.

Akarin
Hobo

I'm just trying to figure out where the Pulpwood.cct file came from. It wasn't included in your xHopCover_RC3 pack (in fact there wasn't even a Pulpwood.cty file either) and there's no Pulpwood.cct file in the EngineTypes folder of the base game. It's not from WP&P either.
Gumboots
CEO

Probably from one of the earlier covered hopper packs. I would have included it in the first one, as it wouldn't work otherwise, but since it only sets car name there would be no reason to include it in update packs as car type wasn't changed (only years and weights). I really can't recall what was in each past zip, and I'm not sure if I still have copies of them all. I should probably make a final version of all zips, including all required files, just to be on the safe side.

Akarin
Hobo

That must be it. I compilation zip of all the files would be great though, especially for fresh installs.

Btw, what happened with your reefer models?