1.06 Installation Problem

Questions/Comments about the new 1.06 Patch
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Re: 1.06 Installation Problem Unread post

I did actually buy the game on Steam recently, just so I could vote up Florian's multiplayer setup guide. Was 2 or 3 bucks on sale. Anyway, what I found out is that the RT3.exe that Steam provides is only 811kb. The noCD one is about 2.2MB. While the original CD one is over 4MB.

Milo made the 1.06 patch before the game was on Steam (that's slightly an assumption I don't know when the game was added to Steam, but that's my understanding). His patch setup does some changes to the exe. It returns a failure with the Steam exe. My guess would be that something is out of place compared to what it expects. But maybe there is some way to make it work, I don't know.

There was one guy (I don't remember which thread at the moment) that wanted to have the steam overlay while playing RT3. Not sure why he would want that, but this is in my mind the only reason to persevere with the Steam exe (even if you can make changes correctly Steam will try to revert them). Otherwise just use a variant of the noCD exe. The rest of the game files should be the same.

This is what I would do:
If you don't know where Steam put your game files. Go to your library. Right-click on the game-> select Properties -> choose Local Files tab -> Click on "Browse Local Files...."

Then select everything (Ctrl+A) and copy it. Make a new folder on your C: drive and paste everything there.

You can then point the 1.06 setup there and install it. We expect an error about unable to patch the exe, but we want the other changes it makes to the game files.

Then you want to put a good exe file (pre-patched to 1.06) that doesn't need Steam or a CD. There's one at this link: viewtopic.php?p=44854#p44854

Let me know if you have a problem.
Revarnes

I did as you said, and got the new file and put it into the same folder. but still only version 1.05... !facepalm!

Is there a specific place i need to put the RT3Island EXE?
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Ok. Sorry. I forgot one detail: the version number is buggy.

It finds whatever version is on an exe called exactly "RT3.exe" in the game folder.

Because this exe has a different name, the version number isn't displayed properly.

All you need to do is take the "island" off the end of the name and it should show as 1.06. (Get rid of/rename any existing exe with name exactly "RT3.exe" first.)

This only affects the name display, not the way the game runs. Renaming exes is in general safe, it can just lead to confusion if you have different versions in the same folder.
Revarnes

It works! Thank you! I've found other tutorials to be a lot more confusing, but yours was straight to the point! Thank you! !$th_u$! ::!**!