Release: Railroad Tycoon 3 Multiplayer Lobby

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
FlorianF

Re: Release: Railroad Tycoon 3 Matchmaker (Multiplayer) Unread post

I will look into those bugs later Gumboots and RulerofRails! Would be a nice challenge to fix them, and furthermore; I will try to get some of the bugfixes from Milo's patch in my modified RT3_MP.exe as well, but in order to do so I have to extensively test whether the fixes are not breaking multiplayer elements. Fortunately Milo was so kind to send me his complete list of notes of modifications in the EXE file, so I can go through them one by one.
If someone is willing to try, you can get the first version of the RT3 Multiplayer here:

https://mega.nz/#!ZagTmChD!u5GB4A6DPKGJ ... wDggDLhnVM.

Instructions:
Unpack the RT3Multiplayer-win32-ia32 folder anywhere on your computer.
Run the RT3Multiplayer.exe (this will prompt for admin rights, which is needed in order to write the modified exe to your RT3 folder; don't worry it will use it's own EXE file, so none of your mods/patches/edits will be overwritten in the process).
If you want to host, make sure you have your UDP port 9000 opened in your router/modem settings (Instructions how to: https://www.wikihow.com/Open-Ports).
It has been designed to work both on LAN and on online mode (due to the EXE modifications), just make sure you have your Railroad Tycoon 3 installed anywhere in C:/Program Files (x86).

Finally:
If you find any bugs or whatever please let me know! I tested successfully on multiple systems and only had one minor accident where BitDefender blocked the RT3Multiplayer.exe (due to it extracting my custom EXE file and running it, which is flagged as suspicious, as it should).

Soon I will release a version on a dedicated website which will automatically update, but for now; I would really appreciate if you guys would test my beta version and let me know if there are any bugs!
Last edited by FlorianF on Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gumboots
CEO

I can't host it myself, and don't have a LAN handy. I'd need someone else to set up a server to run this beast.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

I can't host either, don't control a router. I installed anyway just to look around. The game was running at resolution 800x600. So I went to increase that. While there I turned off the switch for Disable Hardware T&L because I have dgVoodo2 installed. I naively assumed that it would also apply here. Now I can't start it anymore, obviously dgVoodoo2 isn't working with this (when I start RT3.exe normally it works fine). Tried to re-install without success. :cry:

If you didn't know about dgVoodoo2, here's the way that I have been using it. Also, a list of multiplayer maps earlier in that thread.
viewtopic.php?p=45380#p45380

Please note the GoG version needs a little something extra to work with dgVoodoo2. Also in this post: screenshots to illustrate a little the quality difference when running the game with Disable Hardware T&L off.
viewtopic.php?p=43925#p43925
FlorianF

RulerofRails wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:46 pm I can't host either, don't control a router. I installed anyway just to look around. The game was running at resolution 800x600. So I went to increase that. While there I turned off the switch for Disable Hardware T&L because I have dgVoodo2 installed. I naively assumed that it would also apply here. Now I can't start it anymore, obviously dgVoodoo2 isn't working with this (when I start RT3.exe normally it works fine). Tried to re-install without success. :cry:

If you didn't know about dgVoodoo2, here's the way that I have been using it. Also, a list of multiplayer maps earlier in that thread.
viewtopic.php?p=45380#p45380

Please note the GoG version needs a little something extra to work with dgVoodoo2. Also in this post: screenshots to illustrate a little the quality difference when running the game with Disable Hardware T&L off.
viewtopic.php?p=43925#p43925
I installed and setup dgVoodoo2 just as explained in your manual, and it does work with the modified exe file as well (see attachment).
Maybe it found another folder with RT3.exe, where the D3D8.dll is missing? If you run the program and type in the chatbox /reset, your config file will reset. If you restart the program it will search for Railroad Tycoon 3 again. Could you check if it finds the correct folder?
You can also see the found folder in the config file: %appdata%/railty3client/config.json.
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

I talked to Florian already in the lobby, but just for general information, my issue was that it found my completely stock GoG install in the folder C:\GoG games\ instead of the one I thought I was using (new copy to "Program Files(x86)"). It's not a problem with dgVoodoo2.
FlorianF

The final one can be downloade here btw, https://github.com/FlorianFFF/RT3Multip ... player.exe, it automatically updates as well. :-D
I'll still have to edit the website to provide additional instructions, and maybe then it could be nice to put a link on http://hawkdawg.com again as well?