Auto Plant

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
Tumbleweed

Auto Plant Unread post

I'M trying to figure out how to make cars the Mississippi Valley scenario the rubber part is the hardest.
I'M sure it all involves steel, tool & dies(?), rubber it's hard to find & tires. I think I got it then it falls
apart loose the rubber so then loose the tires.
Thanks for your help
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Re: Auto Plant Unread post

Ah, you need to use the Overview option. That's the icon of the world. Then select the cargo you want like Rubber. You will then see all the Rubber that is currently on the map and all sources and demands for Rubber.

Rubber needs to be turned into Tires. The Tire Factory and Auto Plant only show up after 1900, but every map goes through a 3 year simulation period so this map is really taking the building selection from 1897. In short, you will need to wait a little before a Tire Factory and Auto Plant will show up.

However, you could always build your own, often it makes sense to do this at the source. So Tire Factory on the same economic cell (use "G" to toggle cell overlay, it's the large blocks of 16 that count as economic cells) as a Rubber warehouse or port (sometimes you can't put on the same cell as a port because of water limits).

Making Autos also requires Steel. Use the Overview again to find out where Steel is produced (green upside-down triangle). The main source is the Steel Mill. If you click on that you get some info about it. There is a box icon above the Industry info that switches between profit report and production recipe. You will find that you need Coal and Iron to make Steel. The icons for Coal and Iron are clickable and are the equivalent of looking those cargoes up in the Overview.

Just because a Steel Mill exists doesn't mean that it will produce any Steel at all. A big part of this game is to manage the production of cargoes. If the existing facilities don't have a decent natural supply of resources, but are far away, you might consider building your own industry in the right location, that would be close to a concentration of the resource/s it needs. Also note that the price of the outputted cargo is important for profitability, so you must decide on placement based on price of output (Steel) as well as supply of resources (if you build other factories later you can basically build next door and in the long term not worry so much about price of output). Also note that you must wait before the new industry will build a demand sufficient to attract much cargo. That leads to the strategy preferring placement close to the source. With the Steel Mill you have two sources so must balance those as well.

Of course the existing industries will always work if you can deliver the cargoes they need via train. However, RT3 has a dynamic cargo pricing system and except for cargoes that are only required by one type of building (such as Livestock at Meat Packing Plant), some natural supply (resources will reach there overland without your help, it will take some time with the Overview and gameplay practice to predict this accurately) is almost always preferable. For a Steel Mill I would recommend natural supply of Coal over Iron, if you can only choose one.

After you have a source for Tires and Steel, then you can deliver the cargoes to an Auto Plant, or build one of these. If given a choice (if you build your own) aim for a natural supply of Steel, since more types of industries divert that, while Tires at this stage of the game are only used by the Auto Plant. Also, remember that each industry affects the pricing of the cargoes it demands. So the Auto Plant needs needs to be within a couple towns of a Tire Factory or the Tire Factory may be unprofitable and in that case produce very few Tires (unprofitable factories produce very little).
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 amThe icons for Coal and Iron are clickable and are the equivalent of looking those cargoes up in the Overview.
I've been playing the game for years and I never noticed that they were clickable. :lol:
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

After years playing, it becomes the little things. For example when checking to see if a new farm is a good opportunity it's quite useful to zip into overview of its output. In the case that you find it visually or especially if you find it at the end of the industry list which is scrolled through with the Pg Up- Pg Dn. The general tip there is of course to "mark" the start of said list by setting a camera view pointing at the first item in the list. Then proceed backwards from there.