Question regarding patches for Steam version

Discussion of Pop Top's last release of RRT.
xhelius

Question regarding patches for Steam version Unread post

I have read and read about installing patches.
The Steam version comes as 1.05, but from my reading it still needs to be patched. The 1.04 Coast to Coast is pretty straightforward. Double click, patch installs. My question is really surrounding the 1.05 patch. From what I can tell it's just a copy the .exe over to the install folder. The no cd .exe is over twice the size of the 1.05 patch .exe. The unofficial 1.06 patch won't install regardless of what I do. All i get is quick box the flashes for a split second then nothing.

Looking for some guidance here to install the patches. I'm sure this is old news for a lot of people here, but for the life of me I can't get anything working except the 1.04 patch, vista fix, and widescreen. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Re: Question regarding patches for Steam version Unread post

Disclaimer: I don't have the Steam version. I much prefer the GoG version.

Are you running Windows? What version? Are you sure you have the right permissions?

The way we operate RT3 is to install it once, and then copy the whole game folder elsewhere, such as straight on C: drive (limits issues with permissions). Even multiple copies there. For example a game folder for 1.05, one for 1.06 patch, one for Trainmaster, and extras for custom stuff.

I can't be certain, but it's probably possible to do the same with the Steam version, as long as you use no-cd version of the exe to launch the game manually.

You might want to check this:
viewtopic.php?f=82&t=4020

1.05 is the latest patch to the exe. Depending on where you got your no-cd version from, that is typically patched to 1.05 already. The Steam exe is also 1.05, for some reason there is advice on the Steam forum that it should be repatched to 1.05, but I have no idea why? That would indicate maybe a bug in the Steam exe. That advice doesn't apply when using the no-cd exe.

The only reason to play with the patches (in the past some people used earlier version install to get the game running before Vista Fix or better yet dgVoodoo, so if you find some archaic instructions about patching around here, ignore those) would be if you had an early release hard copy. Obviously 1.04/Coast-to-Coast is just part of the game for all versions you get now: Steam, GoG, physical cd.
xhelius

Thanks for the information.

I run Windows 10 Pro 64-bit full admin privileges.

For clarification. Is the 1.05 patch just a copy and paste .exe file? As in, nothing to run. Just drop it in.

I'll make a copy of the install folder. See if that helps.
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

xhelius wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:53 pmFor clarification. Is the 1.05 patch just a copy and paste .exe file? As in, nothing to run. Just drop it in.
Correct. :-)
xhelius

DOn't know if I need to create a new thread, but I bought the GOG version since it was on sale last night. I still can't get 1.06 to run. I have no idea as to what is going on. All i get is a brief flash of a window and that's it. I've patched with the dgVoodoo patch and high res patch so far. Both are running just fine.

Any thoughts about 1.06??
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

That's strange. Did you get any error messages from the 1.06 installer?

I needed to do an extra step to get dgVoodoo working with the GoG version. 4th paragraph here:
viewtopic.php?p=43925#p43925

Did you do this?

Afterwards did you uncheck Disable Hardware T&L (short for Transformation and Lighting) from the game graphics options?

PS. Assuming all went well with the install, you could try the 1.06 exe I posted here: viewtopic.php?p=44854#p44854