1860's Ten Wheeler (it's be nice to Yankees week)

Here registered users can create and vote in RRT related polls.

Would this be a good replacement for the 1.06 Ten Wheeler?

Yep. The 1.06 version is ugly and comes in too late.

8(100%)
Nope. I really like the ugly one and want to keep it.

No votes

Total votes: 8

Gumboots
CEO

Re: 1860's Ten Wheeler (it's be nice to Yankees week) Unread post

LV628 seems to have vanished, but I've been idly thinking about this project again.

On reflection, I think making it a dedicated express loco would be a mistake. In historical terms the 4-6-0 during this period was the heavy hauler for when a 4-4-0 didn't have the necessary grunt. So really, it would make more sense to revamp the default 4-4-0's stats to make that the dedicated express loco, and set up the 4-6-0 for freight and heavy grades. They could both come in at the same time then, so the US would have good freight and express options while waiting for the later locos. This would give the 4-6-0 ten clear years before the Mogul turns up, and it would obviously still be usable after that if anyone still wanted to use it.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

So, add a new 4-4-0 as a 2nd generation, upgraded engine?

I have the Mogul set to arrive in 1865? Did I miss a change on that?
Gumboots
CEO

No change on the Mogul. 1865 suits it. !*th_up*!

What I was thinking was that we have the default 4-4-0 coming in 1855, which makes sense because that was about the time they settled down into the classic style for the type (earlier ones were a tad weird). So if we make the Ten Wheeler also come in 1855 then we'd have a good express and a good freight loco for the 1855-1865 period. We'd obviously still have the Baldwin too, but that's a slower unit and could be relegated to short lines after 1855. Then we get Mogul and Connie as usual, and with the new cargo scale only increasing half the freight weights in 1865 the Ten Wheeler could hang on until 1875 in some applications. I think it could all work rather well.

And yes, probably give the 4-4-0 an upgrade in 1875-ish. The default Eight Wheeler is just a mutated American 4-4-0 model with different colours, and is really nothing like an NYC Class I (999 was one of those). So perhaps we could turn that into a decent 4-4-0 around 1875 or so. Something like a Pennsy Class K (later renamed as D6). Just remodel it and use the same game name/slot.

The 1890's were the heyday of the big express camelbacks, usually 4-4-2 or 4-6-0, so one of those would be a good replacement express for that period, as well as being fun to have and adding some interest to the game.

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Sounds good. :salute: Express front is definitely pretty desolate with the default 4-4-0 to Eight Wheeler leap. Majority of scenarios are made for this period too.
Gumboots
CEO

I kinda like the idea. A camelback Atlantic would make a good feed-in to the default Atlantic (Pennsy E6), which was one of the last built and the ultimate evolution of the type. So an earlier one would be good to have. I have drawings and photos for the Lehigh Valley unit that hauled the Black Diamond Express in the 1890's.

Gumboots
CEO

Might as well can this thread for now. The beast is alive and kicking, over in this thread in the Rolling Stock board:

Oh dear, he's done it again (1865 Ten Wheeler)