Rolling Stock skinning ideas

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
WPandP

Unread post

Thank you Bambardiere!

With his help, I am finally getting the 2D profile icons to look right, and so I am beginning to update the already-released cars, and for cars that I release from here on out I'll be sure to include the profiles for the train list.

I've added another car that can be downloaded - the Fruit (Produce) Reefer. This is a new car distinct from the default Reefers in the game, solely for Produce. Later on, I'll get around to releasing the mod skin for the regular reefers. And, I have updated the Goods Boxcar to include its 2D profiles; if you've already got this car, you may want to grab it again to add those files in. You do need to replace the files you've already downloaded in order for this to work right!

In the course of all this, Bombardiere also pointed out that it is possible to add more versions of the cars as they evolve over time... in other words, we're not limited to A-B-C-D eras with transitions every 50 years. The dates of transitions can be whatever we wish to assign, and you can have E-era and beyond if you want! Of course, we still only have so many 3DP models to use, but I can easily see taking the C-era boxcar and continuing to use it up until 1965, at which point in time it simply loses its running boards (via the alpha channel), and then the high-cube boxcar (D-era default) doesn't come into play until say 1980! This opens up whole new realms of potential, so I guess I have to say...

Curse you Bombardiere!

How will I ever have time to explore all of this vast potential? Oh, that and eat and sleep and earn a living? :wink:
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Does all 6 screenshots go with the reefer?
'Course you didn't mention adding them to my site yet. Are they ready?
Hawk
WPandP

Unread post

The A and B era screenies for the reefers are common to both reefer types; I only posted C and D era screenies for fruit since they differ. Thus, you only need 4 shots; leave out the C and D for the meat/cheese, as that has yet to be released.

As far as being ready for you to add to your page, yes, please do add them! Thanks. And, notice that I revised the Goods, so please update that on your page too. I do plan to update the Troop and Pulpwood cars soon, once I get the 2D profiles done for them.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

OK! Got'cha! :D
Hawk
KevinL

Unread post

WPandP wrote:Thank you Bambardiere!

With his help, I am finally getting the 2D profile icons to look right, and so I am beginning to update the already-released cars, and for cars that I release from here on out I'll be sure to include the profiles for the train list.
Woohoo! Thank you to both of you! This is great news. I play with the "view all trains" box open in the lower right so I can see my trains running while I'm building new track, etc. With this updated I can see exactly what cargo is on the train by the color. Thank you!
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Unread post

Got the refer cars added and the box car updated.
Hawk
bombardiere
Hobo

Unread post

WPandP wrote:
Curse you Bombardiere!

How will I ever have time to explore all of this vast potential? Oh, that and eat and sleep and earn a living? :wink:
Yes, I know what you mean. So much to do, so little time. :cry:

About new cars. Yes I was able to change the dates and add new PassE type car. But I haven’t fully cracked the car weight yet. Car weight is included at least in two files. And I am not sure how these work. Other indicates empty weight and other full weight. I did change both weights, but in test sandboxscenario the game seemed to use original weight. I am not sure is this because the weights are coded in somewhere else too, or is it because a saved game stores the old data and my changes don’t show up in an old game? It needs more testing.

Nevertehless, huge kudos to you WP&P. Your new cars really improves the game. But of course now we need new skins for all major railway companies ... :roll:
Ace of Spades

Unread post

bombardiere wrote:But of course now we need new skins for all major railway companies ... :roll:
You said it but I was thinkin' it! :lol:
WPandP

Unread post

I'm thinking it's almost time for me to draft up a thorough "How To" on advanced car skinning, so that I can leave it up to THE REST OF YOU GOOD FOLKS to do all the roadnames and extra eras and whatnot!

Actually, I had thought at first that I might do one unique car for each cargo, and I'd pick out a roadname for that commodity, like N&W for coal, SOO for grain, etc. based on which railroads hauled those loads commonly. However, I quickly discovered that when it comes to finding good quality photos to use for the skins, you can't always find the roadname that you want, and so I've just used whatever I can find. I'm also trying to stick to broad color themes, such as red for Goods, yellow for Reefers, and this rules out some roadnames.

The other thing I wonder is when and if I will hit the wall, in terms of not being able to add any more car types. I have a suspicion that since I am creating CAR files, I might be limited by the total number of engines+cars, and we already know the limit for engines based on the default set of cars. I wonder if each new car I add means one less engine I can add, in other words. I guess I'll get to that point someday soon, as I have a lot of custom engines installed, but I don't have 1.06's extended limit to play with.
Ace of Spades

Unread post

WP&P,

On the Fruit Car skins you just released....Are the early ones (pre-1900) supposed to still look like the generic Produce car? I'm pretty sure I installed everything correctly.