Rolling Stock skinning ideas

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Rolling Stock skinning ideas Unread post

Trainmaster boxcars aren't my problem. At the moment I'm not interested in trying to get anything to work with Trainmaster. Other people can do that if they want to. All I was talking about in the other thread was possibly using some of the skins from Trainmaster.

The boxcar weights I'm messing with are part of a new weight change scale for RT3 1.05 and 1.06. Boxcars are what some stuff will be shipped in before the late 20th century, but for game engine purposes it's only a car designation. The "boxcar" can easily be modelled and skinned as COFC or well cars or whatever for the late 20th century onwards. I'd already thought of similar ideas to the ones you suggested, and have a few other things stashed in Blender. :mrgreen:

TOFC is frankly too much bother to model for not enough benefit, IMHO. I'd rather do other things.

Edit: By the way, just so you know, the limitation with RT3 is lumps in track. Unless the map is absolutely dead flat (hardly any are) you are going to have lumpy track somewhere. Multiple units won't flex over lumps. They'll bend horizontally around corners just fine, but they won't bend vertically at all over lumps. The entire wheelbase of each RT3 car load (no matter how it's skinned up) is dead straight rigid in the vertical direction.

Basically anything over about 100 RT3 units (83 feet or so to scale) starts to look too bad, too often. So really this is what stops us going nuts with Gunderson MAXI-IV's and stuff like that. A MAXI-IV would actually be pretty easy to model and skin, but unfortunately it would look utterly terrible a lot of the time on most maps.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Cash on Wheels

I'm talking about the stand-alone well cars. Greenbrier makes a 53' model. 70' total length.

All these were stand-alone 48' well cars. They are being streched to 53' or chopped down to 40'.
Gumboots
CEO

Yup, I was just mentioning the multi units because it'd be cool to have them, if we could make them behave reasonably well in the game. For RT3 a 53 foot well car is a nice unit. Long enough to look good, short enough to be manageable.

These are good too: Astrarail Sggrss 80´

That's just short enough to look reasonable on most track, and it'd be good to have some units that weren't double stack, just for variety. !*th_up*!

Gumboots
CEO

Got those box cars for early auto carriers running in the game. They basically work, but once again RT3 is being inconsistent, and pulling stunts that it doesn't pull with other things that are coded the same way.

Sometimes this old crud of a game engine really gives me the @#@&@&!

There is probably a way around it, eventually, but I can't be bothered trying to find it tonight.
meh.jpg

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Those look pretty good. :-)
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah they're not bad. I might try the other auto boxcar images I have available and see which one I like best.

Couple of glitches with them. First one is UV mapping isn't reversed on the other side, so the text is backwards. This is a common problem with default models and it beats me why they did it that way. It would have been just as easy to switch the UV's on one side during development, and that way there would have been no problem. **!!!**

Anyway I'll fix the model with nifty Blender tools, and that way the image will look right on both sides. !*th_up*!

The other problem is with the DDS image itself. Bits of the skin keep dropping out at some distances and angles. I've seen this once before:
Gumboots wrote:Just grabbed the alt Berkshire zip yesterday, now that I can see all skins on my box, and it's still a bit funny.

The tender is really good (even has the name on it in clear lettering) but the loco itself is a bit blurry and indistinct in outlines. It lacks the sharpness and clarity of the tender.

Also, the loco vanishes at some view angles and distances. You can be looking at the thing up close, then zoom out a bit and the loco will disappear.

The profile shot is still the old "ran into a big can of black paint" look too.
For some reason these new auto boxcars are doing that, even though the other boxcars I made recently don't do it, and even though other DDS skins I've made for other assets don't do it either. It'll be something simple and stupid, but I was too tired to do more testing last night. Will sort it over the next few days.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

I don't know if this is relevant to RT3 but in my modeling days for Microsoft Train Simulator I found that MSTS would render a model based on it's access of origin, which MSTS considered the center.
If the origin point of the model wasn't the center of the model, it would disappear at certain angles in the sim.

I hope that makes sense. :mrgreen:
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yup, makes sense, but I don't think it's the problem here. I'm pretty sure I goofed with some of the DDS export options. I'll try a few things and see if I can figure it out.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

I didn't think it would be, since that problem primarily pertained to large models, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway - just in case, considering the persnickety obfuscated workings of this game. ^**lylgh
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Had a bit of fun. :mrgreen: I think we defo should have some stuff like this sometime. (0!!0)
Freight_car_fun_1.jpg
Freight_car_fun_2.jpg
Freight_car_fun_3.jpg
Back to sensible reefers now...