Southern Railways "Schools" V class [WIP]

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Southern Railways "Schools" V class [WIP] Unread post

Starting modelling this little rocket, just for fun. Have got this far with the CAD.
Schools_out.png
Haven't started hex coding yet but will make a start on the basics this week.

I like this as a contrast to the Berkshire. The idea of a Berkshire was "Hey if we stuff two more wheels under the rear of a 2-8-2 it'll make a really good big freight engine". The Schools class 4-4-0 was the exact opposite: "Hey if we chop two wheels off the rear of a 4-6-0 we'll have a really good little express engine".

They had to be short to fit on the turntables on the relevant lines, but they had to be seriously fast to give good express serivce. What Maunsell did was to take a 4-6-0 and cut down the length of the boiler. The firebox stayed full sized. The boiler itself has a length of 11' 9". The firebox is a whole 9 feet. For comparison, the firebox of an A1 Berkshire is about 13 feet long and the boiler is about 26 feet. So the Berkshire, which supposedly had a really big firebox, had one that was about 50% of the boiler length. The Schools class firebox was 77% of the boiler length.

Short and fat boilers are more efficient too (the firebox gases cool off more in longer boilers) and being a 4-4-0 it had really low internal friction. The overall result was that the Schools class were known for being free steaming even on poor grades of coal, really easy on the fireman, and capable of keeping up with most 4-6-0's and 4-6-2's. The short wheelbase meant tight curves were no problem, but stability at high speed seems to have been fine.Throw in great reliability and fewer parts to maintain and you have a really good little locomotive.

Presumably the shorter boiler being cooked up by a comparatively huge firebox would need water fed into it faster, but this doesn't seem to have mattered. Overall consumption per mile wouldn't change, just the feed rate to the boiler. The only catches were that the axle loading was taken as high as possible, meaning some branch lines weren't accessible, and the starting tractive effort was a bit much for the adhesion, meaning the engineer had to handle standing starts with a bit of care. Once rolling they seem to have been fine, and were known for good performance on hills.

So yeah, these little things are cool. We gotta have them. !*th_up*!
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Re: Southern Railways "Schools" V class [WIP] Unread post

Hey Gumboots. I know that your ultimate goal is a roster of all steam engines right? Well seeing as you would need to make some fictional locomotives for the the later period I think http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tra ... dern50.htm and http://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/Econom ... nPaper.pdf would help some.(The second one is the the study by H. F. Brown mentioned in the Age of Steam Phoenix Rising scenario.)
arop

:-D I'm looking forward to use the 4-4-0 "Scools Class" for minor jobs in some of my future maps. A new and improved 0-6-0 DX goods is also desireable. Everything isn't about BIG American steam engines for BIG railroading. In RRT3 there is a total lack of tank engines (seldom used in the US), but it's all up to you! I shall not try to push a volunteer doing a GREAT job !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

Minor jobs? :mrgreen: With a top speed of 95 mph, good fuel economy, fast acceleration, great reliability and reasonable performance on grades I think it'll be useful for fairly major jobs. I'd certainly prefer it to a Mallard for a lot of things.

As it turns out, I've sort of shot myself in the foot with this project. The basics of the Schools class are really simple (4-4-0, parallel boiler) but once I started getting into detail they aren't so simple at all. Will probably end up being about as much work as any other locomotive, but they're cute and cool so I'll do it anyway.

Tank engines are hard to get enthused about because they are usually ugly. This is probably why nobody has made one. People like to make cool things. I might make one or two eventually, but there are other things I'd rather do first.
AdmiralHalsey wrote:Hey Gumboots. I know that your ultimate goal is a roster of all steam engines right? Well seeing as you would need to make some fictional locomotives for the the later period I think http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/tra ... dern50.htm and http://milwaukeeroadarchives.com/Econom ... nPaper.pdf would help some.(The second one is the the study by H. F. Brown mentioned in the Age of Steam Phoenix Rising scenario.)
Had already seen those. !*th_up*! TBH the first candidates for 21st century steam would be the updated Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 Tornado, and the updated version of the P2 2-8-2 that the same bunch are building. Those are two of my favourites engines anyway, and if I model them once then I get to cover two completely different timeframes just by tweaking the stats slightly. This is good if you're a bit lazy. :-D
Last edited by Gumboots on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Gumboots wrote:TBH the first candidates for 21st century steam would be the updated Peppercorn A1 4-6-2 Tornado, and the updated version of the P2 2-8-2 that the same bunch are building. Those are two of my favourites engines anyway, and if I model them once then I get to cover two completely different timeframes just by tweaking the stats slightly. This is good if you're a bit lazy. :-D
Yeah I just love the Tornado. She proves IMO that if you build it right steam is still viable. Oh and for a stop gap loco to help bridge the period between the the end of steam and the Red Devil try making http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BR_Standard_Class_8(With the fixes to the builder errors of course.)
Gumboots
CEO

Looks like a good candidate. !*th_up*!

I've been thinking about this availability date thing. Arguably, and somewhat dodgily, you could say that if any example of a locomotive is currently running somewhere in the world, the thing is still "available". It will have needed renovation/restoration to a degree, which means making bits for it, and if you can make bits for it you can make the whole thing. So by that line of seriously suspect reasoning a Schools class is still "available" in 2014, as are a lot of other steam locomotives.
Last edited by Gumboots on Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Has anyone read this article, written by our own William Sherrick?

http://hawkdawg.com/rrhist/am.htm
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hadn't seen that before. Interesting stuff.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

There's one or two more articles on this page that might interest you.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Back to the Schools class. I've got the CAD model a bit more detailed now. Still haven't started on the hex. I'll probably just code up some wheels to start with.

I was looking at how PopTop coded other 4-4-0's in the game. What they did, for all examples that actually have a front truck*, is set the front track attachment point halfway along the front truck, and the rear one halfway between the pairs of driving wheels. This makes sense for the rear one, but I want to try shifting the front one around. I have an idea that if it's set back or forward a bit the truck might appear to do a better job of following curved track. The default 4-4-0's hardly show any change in front truck angle around corners.

*Some, like the Duke, just have all wheels fixed to the chassis. The "front truck" is just graphics, and doesn't actually exist as a seperate unit.
Latest_1.jpg
Latest_2.jpg