Pacific/Penn 462 not so basic bug fixes

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Tomix

Re: Pacific/Penn 462 basic bug fixes Unread post

I downloaded the free version of Hex Editor Neo, so I'll give that a spin and see how it goes. It has a portable installation which made me choose that one.
Gumboots
CEO

AdmiralHalsey wrote:
Gumboots wrote: Probably should, if anyone wants to.
I'd do it myself if I knew how too.
Loco names are done on the second to sixth lines of the .car file, if you are using a twelve column display. Twelve columns is the best, since it makes X, Y and Z co-ordinates line up nicely. It also happens to work well for .car files.

The section that handles the in-game name has to be sixty bytes long (five lines at twelve columns). The name has to be followed by a blank that has the hex code of 00. That's why the Pacific name doesn't display the ".Loco" bit in the game. Anything after the blank is dropped from the display, so you just see "Pacific 4-6-2".
Loco_names.png
Don't use a standard spacebar blank after the name because that wont work. That has a hex code of 20 (you can see examples in the shot) and is used for punctuating the name, but you need the 00 after the name for it to work.

The rest of the 60 bytes is just filled up with padding that has a CD hex code. You can see how it works in the pic. To get a loco called A1 Berkshire, I pretty much just typed in A1 Berkshire in the ASCII columns, then added the 00 after it in the hex column.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Tomix wrote:I downloaded the free version of Hex Editor Neo, so I'll give that a spin and see how it goes. It has a portable installation which made me choose that one.
No bookmarking in the free version, so it's no better than HxD. Try HexEdit.

AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Gumboots wrote:
AdmiralHalsey wrote: I'd do it myself if I knew how too.
Loco names are done on the second to sixth lines of the .car file, if you are using a twelve column display. Twelve columns is the best, since it makes X, Y and Z co-ordinates line up nicely. It also happens to work well for .car files.

The section that handles the in-game name has to be sixty bytes long (five lines at twelve columns). The name has to be followed by a blank that has the hex code of 00. That's why the Pacific name doesn't display the ".Loco" bit in the game. Anything after the blank is dropped from the display, so you just see "Pacific 4-6-2".
Loco_names.png
Don't use a standard spacebar blank after the name because that wont work. That has a hex code of 20 (you can see examples in the shot) and is used for punctuating the name, but you need the 00 after the name for it to work.

The rest of the 60 bytes is just filled up with padding that has a CD hex code. You can see how it works in the pic. To get a loco called A1 Berkshire, I pretty much just typed in A1 Berkshire in the ASCII columns, then added the 00 after it in the hex column.
What do you use to edit the files?
Gumboots
CEO

Gumboots wrote:This one seems very good: http://www.hexedit.com/index.html If I was after a freebie, I'd give that a go.

AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Gumboots wrote:
Gumboots wrote:This one seems very good: http://www.hexedit.com/index.html If I was after a freebie, I'd give that a go.
AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Woops. I did not mean to make so many posts. My internet has been going slow lately and I have to click the submit button a couple times before it registers.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I deleted the extra two posts.
You can delete your own posts. ;-)
Hawk
AdmiralHalsey
Hobo

Hawk wrote:I deleted the extra two posts.
You can delete your own posts. ;-)
Thanks Hawk.
Gumboots
CEO

Alrighty then, I've gone and done a revamp on this beast. It actually has the dimensions of a PRR K4s now. It was even built off an original PRR drawing, although since I started with PopTop stuff it's not as detailed as a $1,000 brass model. Looks a heck of a lot better than the default mutant thing though, and has a reasonable poly count. !*th_up*!

This has no custom stats and no renaming of the internal hex code. It's all bog basic PopTop in those respects, so can be used with any saved game and with any scenario that allows the Pacific. It will be too strong when hauling my custom (lightweight) express cars, but will be fine with default RT3 express cars for people who use those. I'll work out custom stats for my cars later.

It looks like this:

Here_it_is_1.jpg
Here_it_is_2.jpg

Installation is dead simple. It's just a bunch of loose files, that get dropped into PopTopExtraContent or UserExtraContent to override the default Pacific files. That's why they're loose files: they only work as overrides if they aren't packed. (0!!0)