New steam (not electric) locomotives: Aslaug and Biarritz

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: New steam (not electric) locomotives: Aslaug and Biarritz Unread post

Gumboots wrote:Y'know this would be a total piece of cake if the @@&#%! devs had allowed an accessible .3dp for the actual track. If that was available, it'd be a simple matter of sinking the verts below zero height. No can do though. Can't find such a file. I think it's locked into the .exe, unfortunately.
I hear ya'. :-(

I'm guessing the issue there is that they used spline track, which can be limited in it's variables.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

It's weird the way they've done it. The catenary pylons for electric track have normal accessible files. However the cables between pylons are also locked into the .exe. All the modelling stuff shown on rt3_DDSW.PK4\Track_Texture_*.dds appears to be locked down, even though the image itself is available.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Got a chance to try out the test files. They are looking great! Wish we could separate the double track so passing ships avoid each other properly. If the network was pre-laid with great care as single track spaced wide enough, might it be possible by using some waypoints to avoid this except at the Ports?

This helped me remember the Gwizz Port that is a station but looks like a port. "Dusted it off" and loaded it up to find that it has the catchment area of a small station, must be built on land, and doesn't transfer demand to water like a real port does. It's just a bca and bty file so maybe that can be tweaked to be more useful if you want, I don't know.

Don't know what you are planning, and noticed you didn't put any regular ports on the map. There are benefits and drawbacks to everything, but the current setup with a station on a water cell isn't getting the true price of anything on the land. As you know there is an exploitable difference between the land and sea prices. I have reported this as a bug to at least one map maker via PM when I found that the map's design made it easy to plant a station on a water cell (for example collecting Rubber at a water price of $0 and then reselling it for full price on the land, this can be looped so you are transferring back and forth between the catchments of really close stations for a real cheat). I am sure there is an acceptable solution for this.

A potential idea that would negate the poor coverage of the current ship stations: have an out of town rail-to-sea exchange possibly with a Port for ships and Station for trains on the same cell. This way in 1.06 a train could be run to the port to keep it stocked with the type of goods you wanted to export (would need a more complex demand structure in 1.05 maybe using a warehouse also). Another idea would be to place cities right at the waters edge. Don't know what goals you are planning, but would be happy to try to come up with some robust ideas if that would help. What is the main focus for the challenge of the shipping going to be? I don't think it can be profit unless most of the resources are on one side and they must be transported before any money can be made. But, I think this is going to look and play best if a player can't buy 20-50+ ships, instead having some specific goals that require transport while using a good method to actually require production with those resources (such as industry-only company/ies that can be tested for total profits) so that haulage cheats can't be used really easily.

I don't want to impose with too many suggestions etc. on your project, but the more detailed complexities available on the smaller maps do get my interest up here for sure. I wish that RT3 had different levels instead of one level and different strengths that may take longer but given enough time unsatisfied and will all be within an incremental amount of a full-high strength demand. This makes it hard to have a mid-level demand that will never get to the level to block a demand transmission (cargo) chain while running in a for-profit situation in 1.05. Oh well. That's what work-arounds are for. I just think that it would benefit the more casual players especially. Most of the time I understand or plan/control what is going on.

BTW, the Schools class is looking great! !*th_up*!
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:Got a chance to try out the test files. They are looking great! Wish we could separate the double track so passing ships avoid each other properly. If the network was pre-laid with great care as single track spaced wide enough, might it be possible by using some waypoints to avoid this except at the Ports?
Yep, could do that, and I had thought of it. This is just a basic proof of concept map though, and I specifically wanted to show some of the limitations in places. Bridges are another problem. On most maps the bridges will be far too low for the ships to actually go under them.

Another glitch seems to be when you want to build a bridge that crosses an existing sea lane. This apparently reminds the game engine that track shouldn't be on oceans, and it will chop a section out of the sea lane when you try to drag the bridge across to the other side. It also won't actually complete the bridge until there is sufficient clear space through the sea lane. I can see this being a nuisance in practice. A possible workaround is to leave isolated land cells where people are likely to want bridges.

This helped me remember the Gwizz Port that is a station but looks like a port. "Dusted it off" and loaded it up to find that it has the catchment area of a small station, must be built on land, and doesn't transfer demand to water like a real port does. It's just a bca and bty file so maybe that can be tweaked to be more useful if you want, I don't know.
I'd want large station catchment, so I was thinking of starting with a large station and just throwing dock .3dp's at it to make it look like a dock.

Don't know what you are planning, and noticed you didn't put any regular ports on the map. There are benefits and drawbacks to everything, but the current setup with a station on a water cell isn't getting the true price of anything on the land. As you know there is an exploitable difference between the land and sea prices. I have reported this as a bug to at least one map maker via PM when I found that the map's design made it easy to plant a station on a water cell (for example collecting Rubber at a water price of $0 and then reselling it for full price on the land, this can be looped so you are transferring back and forth between the catchments of really close stations for a real cheat). I am sure there is an acceptable solution for this.
Wasn't actually aware of that as I hadn't checked that far. Good point. An easy way around it would be to sit the station on land, but paint those cells to look like the rest of the ocean. That should look good enough and should work.

A potential idea that would negate the poor coverage of the current ship stations: have an out of town rail-to-sea exchange possibly with a Port for ships and Station for trains on the same cell. This way in 1.06 a train could be run to the port to keep it stocked with the type of goods you wanted to export (would need a more complex demand structure in 1.05 maybe using a warehouse also). Another idea would be to place cities right at the waters edge. Don't know what goals you are planning, but would be happy to try to come up with some robust ideas if that would help. What is the main focus for the challenge of the shipping going to be? I don't think it can be profit unless most of the resources are on one side and they must be transported before any money can be made. But, I think this is going to look and play best if a player can't buy 20-50+ ships, instead having some specific goals that require transport while using a good method to actually require production with those resources (such as industry-only company/ies that can be tested for total profits) so that haulage cheats can't be used really easily.
I don't think the poor coverage is much of a problem, as long as the catchments of the dock station and the city station overlap. Anything within the city station's catchment is available to load at the station, and if the dock's catchment overlaps that station then transfers should be reasonable, AFAICT. I have been thinking about best placements though, and how to arrange them. It's going to need some head scratching and testing to get the best results.

The initial idea for the main focus in this scenario was going to be the cross-Channel express trade, which was a major earner for Southern. That requires generating passengers who want to cross the Channel, something this map doesn't currently do very well. OTOH, once all the cities are in place, instead of just the few it has now, pax traffic should increase significantly. Needs more testing. And yes, I was thinking of including goals, rather than just profit.

That led to the WW2 aspects, where obvious goals would be the evacuation from Dunkirk in 1940, and the convoys from the US, along with weapons/etc haulage from ports and troops haulage to ports. Again, getting the map to generate what you want where you want it could be difficult, but haulage goals could be used to require shipping some things at a loss if necessary.

I don't want to impose with too many suggestions etc. on your project, but the more detailed complexities available on the smaller maps do get my interest up here for sure.
Suggestions are great. This is still just a rough concept all round. It was something that occurred to me, then I had to try it. I can see a variety of possible applications, and I'm sure others will think of more applications. For example, if the guys in the southern US want those big river barges they use added to a map, say to something like the AoS V map where you have deep river valleys and plenty of river width, along with custom docks, then it could be done.

BTW, the Schools class is looking great! !*th_up*!
Thanks. And yeah I better get back to finishing that. :mrgreen:

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Quick note on express (my observations). Stadiums and especially Museums will help put passengers in a city. I haven't experimented with it much, but I believe that the production increase for passengers and mail is working for territories. Generally though, RT3 express likes to go the shortest straight-line distance and will only like to make a large jump if there is a long subsequent journey involved. So will require some experimentation to optimize it.
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah I was thinking that I'd be using production boosts for pax/territories. Possibly some pax reductions in other territories too. It'll be a suck it and see sort of thing. Stadium, museums, hotels, etc will obviously be useful too.

Freight seems to be easy. The test map is generating heaps for freight traffic over the Channel. I'll probably have to reduce that, which could be done by having similar industries on both sides (likely the case IRL anyway).

Gumboots
CEO

Having knocked off some low-hanging fruit recently, I'm now putting the Schools class back on the front burner.

Shipping is still on the back burner but I had a good idea. Although the coding for building footprints is locked away where I can't find it, the coding for the X and Y offsets to the track is not. That's easily accessible (bytes 203-206 inclusive, in the .bty file). What this means is that it might be possible to get a better capture area for stations reskinned as ports.

It will require testing to make sure, but if the capture area is set to centre on X=0, Y=0 (which seems likely) then by offsetting the visible building from the geometric origin, the building and the track it attaches to could be moved so they are sitting on one edge of the capture area instead of being in the middle. This should allow the station/port to sit right on the edge of the ocean, while still allowing the capture area to extend over the land as far as possible. !*th_up*!

There are two catches that I can think of. One is that the direction in which the capture area is offset from the building will have to be chosen in advance, which could slightly limit placement options. As far as I can tell there is no way around this. It'd just be a matter of trying it out and seeing which placement works best.

The other is that it's likely the building footprint is also centred on X=0, Y=0 too, so the shifted port would end up sitting outside the coded footprint. This would take a chunk out of buildable area near the port, meaning wasted space in the town, and it may also conflict with track you want to lay into the town. Again, it'll need testing and head scratching to figure to the best options here.

RayofSunshine

Boy, this steam ship agenda could certainly be interesting. Looking forward to its concept. :salute: {,0,}
Gumboots
CEO

I just had a quick play with this idea again (getting ideas for scenarios next year) and there's good news and bad news.

The good news is that cutting in the rail below ocean level, or lake level, is easy now that I know about using the lake tool in combination with the height tools to do accurate rivers through gnarly terrain. It's a simple matter to lay out an ocean or lake, use the "decrease height" tool with a couple of clicks to drop a square, then set a lake to that height and use that to carve the gulley for the track. It's basically no harder than laying normal track.

I got a test section laid at an even -8 for height, which would be about right for actual use. The track is a bit over 5.5 units high, and to cover it you'd want something 0.2 or so above the track, so a track cover at around 5.7 to 6 units above the base should work pretty well. The advantage of having it slightly lower than the surrounding ocean is that it could be quite wide without all the width being visible. It will run out into the sloping sides of the track gully (which is shallow enough to not be noticeable) cropping the visual width to suit. This should give it more scope for covering the track around curves, thus getting rid of that bug.

The bad news is, as always, water reflections. There is no way of seamlessly faking those with a static piece of texture. You can make it look like it's reflecting the sky, and fake that pretty well, but at some angles the ocean will reflect the land, and sometimes it's reflecting a night sky instead of a daytime one. One piece of texture can't do all of these things, so you'd still have to decide what looks best most of the time and put up with it not looking perfect the rest of the time. I'm still not sure how good it could get, or if it will always be so ugly that people won't want it.

Gumboots
CEO

Had an idea about this. It will have limited application, but is worth some more testing.

It occurred to me that cutting in track below sea level potentially had another advantage. If the track is sunk low enough, and if the model for the ship (ie: locomotive in game terms) is set far enough above the track, then it would be possible for the track cover pieces to be set high enough to completely cover the consist cars. This would mean no problems with long consists poking out of ships. You could just use any suitable scale for the ship and load any consist and it would be fine. The cargo cars would be "underwater". Might drown a few passengers and cows, but RT3 will still pay you for delivering drowned ones. :mrgreen:

Tried setting that up, and it looks like it will be fairly easy to do, but of course the width of the track covers is going to be an eyesore at times. That led to me thinking it might be possible to run track precisely down the edges of a line of map pixels, putting it at the bottom of a V channel that had no flat bottom. Doing it that way would mean narrower track covers, so less gruesome for looks. This turns out to be feasible, and it also turns out to have another advantage: from some angles and distances the track and cargo cars vanish entirely, even with no track covers in place. That presumably means the track covers would also vanish, or at least not be too bad. I'll do some more testing on it over the next few days.

The screenshots show how it looks, with the arrows pointing to the track that uses the V channel.

Lake_testing.jpg
Game_view_3.jpg
Game_view_2.jpg
Game_view_1.jpg

The other thing I tested is: how to get electric track in a 19th century scenario? Usually the game won't let you lay electric track before 1900, but it is possible to pre-lay it with the map's default start date set to 1910, then save the map with the start year set back to 1855 in the editor, and the electric track will then stay where you put it for playing in the 19th century. This is nifty, since it means "invisible" (more or less) shipping lanes can be done for any timeframe as long as they were pre-laid. !*th_up*!