New steam (not electric) locomotives: Aslaug and Biarritz

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

Re: New steam (not electric) locomotives: Aslaug and Biarritz Unread post

Righty o then. :-D

Got the ship dropped down to the right level, so its lower edge is just on sea level most of the time. There's a story here. In the editor, the game tells you that oceans are always at zero altitude. It turns out that this is not quite correct. There can be a slight variation in level, which is presumably just a small rounding error. As near as I can figure it, it probably goes up and down by about 0.1 of a unit. This means the tricky track covering has to be given a little extra height to stop the ocean variations borking things. Typical RT3. :-P

Anyway, I have it sorted for height and for width so it covers the track well whenever the track is straight. There's still a slight glitch around kinks/corners, where the skinning overlay doesn't seem to get cropped accurately. This gives the covering around corners a slightly ragged look. It may be possible to get a full solution for that later, but I think it's acceptable now.

Another glitch is that when you zoom up to a high altitude the game seems to accentuate the track so that you don't lose sight of it. I suspect this is done by increasing the track dimensions as you zoom out, but since all coding relating to track vertices is hidden in the game engine (it's about the only thing that doesn't have an accessible .3dp file) the only workaround for this would be to also increase the size of the track covering for lower LOD's. I haven't done that yet. At the moment it's just one basic LOD, but I'll try a fews things later and see what I can come up with.

Textures are still not quite perfect, but can be improved some more. One thing to note here is that the water reflections have never worked on my box (no idea why not) so I've skinned it to match what my box displays. If you have water reflections on your box (lucky you) then you'd be wanting a different skin for the track covering. Someone who has water reflections will probably have to do that, because they'll be able to see what's going on live.

See pic. :-D
Track_skinned.jpg
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

And here's Aslaug. :mrgreen:

This will probably be all the progress with these for at least several days, but they're both running. If anyone wants to play around with them and/or the electric track skinning, let me know and I'll attach some files. !*th_up*!
Aslaug_teh_freight_beast.jpg

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Have you got a rough draft map that can go with that? If so, I'd like to have a look at it. I do have water reflection on my rig. Maybe I could take a couple screenshots to show you what it looks like. Not sure if I could do skinning any justice or not.
Even back in my modeling days, making the textures was always the more difficult part of it. Model building was easy as pie for me.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I have a very rough draft map. The terrain is good, but it hasn't been Google Earthed, it only has a few basic testing events, and I just threw a bunch of cities around in France and England to get some sort of economy going so I could test trains and ships. It's nowhere near being a good scenario yet. But yeah, it's a rough draft map. :-D

I also have a save of it in 1948 (gold medal year) that I've been using for testing the ships, just because it already had a well-developed system by then. If you just want to try ships and don't want to have to play through the thing in its current state, I could clean up the save a bit and post that for you. Take your pick.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

The saved map would be fine, I'm sure.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, let me get some coffee into myself first, then I'll pack some files up for you. !*th_up*!

Gumboots
CEO

Ok, I cleaned it up a bit, but also included some deliberate glitches to demonstrate some of the limitations of this shipping thing, namely what can happen around corners and ports.

It's all set up and running, but I saved it as a new scenario (.gmp) rather than a saved game (.gms). All the required files are in their right folders, so if you just unzip this thing and copy it to the root folder of your RT3 1.05 it should work.

I have included files for my A1 Berkshire (black and green versions) and for the alpha/beta/whatever Schools class, since I was using these for England and France respectively and didn't want to change all the trains.

Have also commandeered the GE 6/6 Crocodile and the E 18 for Aslaug and Biarritz respectively, so both can be run at once. This was so I didn't have to deal with full new loco creation at this stage. The .lco files for both electrics have been edited to make them behave like ships. All the beauty shots and whatever are still default. Only the body mesh and skin images have been changed. Haven't screwed around with all the truck, light and bogie files yet so the front ones poke out of the bows of the ships slightly. Doesn't affect functionality. Just looks a bit silly.

Zip attached. !*th_up*!

Gumboots
CEO

Hey I just spotted this in a random commercial building's Memo of the Day. ^**lylgh
ROFLMAO_how_did_they_know.jpg

Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's appropriate, sort of. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the files. I'll check it out over the weekend.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hey grab these too. Electric locomotives now make smoke. :lol: