Oh dear, he's done it again (1865 Ten Wheeler).

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Firefly 2-2-2

Re: Oh dear, he's done it again (1865 Ten Wheeler). Unread post

Never thought about using locos this way. I generally just let the finished goods be shipped by the general stuff trains, and where I do have factories that actually pump out stuff, sometimes I just ship their products to some other consumer market in separate batches, to avoid glutting them. Perhaps I should just glut them at main consumption point, then "shunt" them around to nearby areas with favourable gradient prices for max effect. Who knows?
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Oh dear, he's done it again (1865 Ten Wheeler). Unread post

Just had an idea, which should have been obvious ages ago. *!*!*! Since the Thatcher Perkins is a going concern, and since the skin for it is just bashed together on top of the default PopTop American skin, there's no reason why I have to put up with the American looking like the default version.

I just grabbed the Perkins in Blender, and with not much work at all I suddenly have two 4-4-0's: one based on a stock 1870's Baldwin and one based on the old William Mason. They're not too persnickety for detail, but as reasonably decent placeholders they'll do the business.

Baldwin_1870s.jpg
William_Mason.jpg

What set me off on this was thinking about loco rosters for the Blue Mountains revamp, and consequently grumbling about the lack of 19th century locos, and then realising I could do something about it with hardly any effort. :lol:

It won't solve the problem of New South Wales locos as such (although the U105 class was an 1870's Baldwin) but it will add some useful variants.

Edit: While I think of it, if I get the William Mason version running that would be perfect for express duties from 1855 onwards, and with the Thatcher Perkins effectively being the pre-Civil War era's equivalent of a Mogul (extra traction from extra wheels but no Bissel trucks in use at the time) it would make sense to revamp the stats to have an 1855 introduction date on the 4-6-0, with pulling power tending more towards freight haulage. That way the game would have a US freight loco in the pre-Mogul era that was more versatile than the Baldwin, while still leaving a use for the Baldwin as a basic low speed hauler.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set