Freight train graffiti: love it or hate it?

A forum for general topic polls.

Graffiti good?

Like most of it.

No votes
Some of it is good, some is crap.

4(57%)
Don't like any of it. Freight cars should be boring.

3(43%)

Total votes: 7

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Freight train graffiti: love it or hate it? Unread post

Wow! He's good.
Hawk
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

I don't think that what this guy did is technically "graffiti". He knows that his work wont be wasted since he asked permission. Reminds me of this paint job: http://www.tomcosicart.com.au/tom-cosic ... omotiveart.

Personally, I feel that most graffiti lacks class. Maybe it's down to personal taste though.

In terms of RT3, whether I like the style or not, graffiti exists in real life, so it is realistic (I didn't vote). The way I play the game, I often see multiples of a car type on the same train. After some tests, we will have more info, but planning to have a clean copy available as an option will work for me.

I have explained before that my style is loose, work with the game's natural resource flow and try to expediate it. If resource distribution isn't scattered I will try to concentrate production in one area. The reasoning is that I will get better price differentials more frequently as two or three loads of cargo get dropped in one town, depress the price there in preparation for the next "re-haul" shipment.

This re-haul process is a cycle, it occurs naturally. By concentrating production, I just expediate it. The cycle is shorter, meaning more hauls, and the price differential is greater (more profit) thanks to quicker overwhelming of demand.

When doing this, it's true that concentrated production will mean lower profits for the producing industries. However, the industry must pay overhead and labor costs, akin to train running costs. I haven't done the math with absolute certainty, but I'm pretty sure that by using efficient engines, the cost for trains can turn out lower than the industry will pay for overhead and labor. This is not a short term strategy, building industries on top of stacks of $0 resources is very likely to outperform in the short term.

Note: main requirment for this "strategy": a large demand area (a collection of decent-sized cities spaced normally, away from the edges of the map) preferably on flattish plain. In abnormal conditions, start with the basics and adapt.
Gumboots
CEO

RulerofRails wrote:I don't think that what this guy did is technically "graffiti". He knows that his work wont be wasted since he asked permission. Reminds me of this paint job: http://www.tomcosicart.com.au/tom-cosic ... omotiveart.

Personally, I feel that most graffiti lacks class. Maybe it's down to personal taste though.
I agree with the lack of class for a lot of it, but I am quite amazed at the range of styles and the quality of some of the work.

The other thing, from my perspective, is that it's often on things which literally cannot be made any uglier. Take autoracks as an example. They're ugly. Like serious warthog levels of ugly. Worrying about graffiti on autoracks not being classy is like worrying that painting stuff on a warthog wouldn't be classy. It's so ugly to start with that you have nothing to lose. You might as well go for it. :mrgreen:
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
CeeBee

That last guy is good. Could live with that on modern equip.
Just Crazy Jim

I guess it depends on the scenario. Out here in the boonies, I rarely see graffiti on freight cars, but it was a fixture of daily life when I lived in New England in the 1980s. I think part the reason I don't see much graffiti these days is that kids seem to never leave the house and all have their faces constantly aimed at a smart phone instead of seeking new and inventive ways to rebel against the system.