Across the Blue Mountains

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.05 and earlier.
RayofSunshine

Across the Blue Mountains Unread post

Another great scenario. Lots of challenges. I did find that the mountains were of a challenge in themselves, as one of the required cities are on the opposite side. Also the Sheep, were are also a haul requirement. Well "wool".

The only suggestion I give is that of placing another "depot" closer to the water/ports. Otherwise Sydney becomes a very congested area. There is adequate amount of space to wrap a track around the Western side of the city. Also, after a couple years, remove and place the water/sand stop closer to the Sydney depot, which has been placed by the creator in the initial programming.

This is a worthwhile scenario, and believe players will enjoy its overall concept. :salute: {,0,}
Moggie

Re: Across the Blue Mountains Unread post

I've taken a couple of stabs at this and learned a couple of things already. So far no major success but I'm trying...The mountains are pretty formidable and one needs a lot of small towns in order to find enough cargo to get on the black.
Gumboots
CEO

Just had a couple of shots at this one, and I'm now convinced of something. The author never came anywhere close to getting a Gold on Expert level. I would be very surprised if he even managed it on Hard, and suspect he never tried anything above Medium. In fact, I'm not sure he ever got a Gold on any level at all.

To get Gold you have to connect all towns. That means you need track, and lots of it. There simply isn't enough available to do the job, even with the bonuses. If you could get every bonus every year it might be possible, but there's no way you can do that. In practice, the only track units bonus you can rely on is the one for hauling wool. You might get one of the others every so often, but not consistently.

The so-called "quota" for haulage (related to another track bonus) increases every year, but the rate at which it increases is just bonkers and makes it completely irrelevant to the game. I'm not even sure why it was included. **!!!**

This all means you'll end up short of track no matter which way you slice it. What I suspect happened is that the author tested it on Easy or possibly Normal level, and just assumed that "Hey I'd better make the hard levels harder for better players. I have no chance at all of winning it on those levels, even as it is, which means I can't really test it at all, so I'll just ramp up several things and hope it all works."

It doesn't. :mrgreen:

Short version: Bronze is possible. Silver is possible, although difficult enough that it'd count as a Gold in most people's terms. Gold as such is not possible. At all. :-P
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
arop

**!!!** Cannot find a map with that title in the archives :?:
Gumboots
CEO

arop

!$th_u$! I see that it's an old Australian map. I thought it was a new North American map covering Blue Mountains Tennessee. !facepalm!
Gumboots
CEO

I didn't know those dastardly Tennessee types had nicked our mountains.

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

I downloaded this one ages ago, but finally got to play it. Nice map. I like the haul goals to earn extra track pieces.

My strategy was to build a good industry (Textile Mill in decent demand area is probably the best choice for ROI over the length of the game). Then my focus was to make the general haulage goal which is 1 or more for the first year. In this era passengers are profitable. I made sure to develop the metropolitan area west of Sydney with this in mind, Hotels etc. I saved track pieces by building large stations that covered two "cities" (Parramatta/Botany Bay, Camden/Campbelltown, Richmond/Windsor). I serviced towns fairly well with an eventual total of 100 trains. At the start of a new year I would take out max bonds (the consequences of max bonds aren't too bad, bonds are still completely worth it), build the rails/buy the trains I needed to make the general haulage goal, then I spent any remaining money on industry. I never missed this goal. Was good for an 18 year medal on first attempt.

As I expanded my network south along the coast, my trains started picking up Lumber which was then funneled towards Sydney. I never bought special trains for this goal, just let the auto consist do its thing. To get the Wool goal I connected to cities which had a passing Wool cargo stream (often down a river). This included a connection up north to Newcastle. Before I made the connection to the east where Wool is plentiful I also hauled some Wool from the other ports into Sydney. Some of this Wool I had already hauled once (automatically), but I used these ports as collection facilities for a haul into Sydney as supplying the ports there with wool earlier is a fun side task. The way the ports are setup (supplies and demands but no conversion chain) once a port is well supplied with wool for 3-5 years it will upgrade. This gives more Iron to make Steel with.

The metropolitan area around Sydney (close cities) makes getting the Steel Mill positioned and producing take a little longer than normal. When the station cell washes out (its orange, but the surrounding cells are green demand), it's a little frustrating to have to wait for the game to re-adjust demand there. That's a game weakness, so can't be helped. I used the Springwood-Lithgow pass to connect to Bathurst and then branched out to the north-western cities including Wellington. Tried to take the shortest routes, with spurs to reach the final outlying towns such as Queanbeyan (used a tunnel as I had plenty of cash), Musswellbrook, Goulburn, and Crookwell.

There is a yearly allowance of 100 track pieces even if you don't meet any of the haulage goals. Discounting the initial track available, I used up 4,050 pieces of track (I double-tracked most of the line between Sydney and Wollongong). If your play-style makes it difficult to get some of the goals, don't worry. If you can get one of the haulage goals every year (wool) and another for half of the game (lumber) you can still win this game. Admittedly, waiting may get a little boring. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed keeping my company growth in sync with the current year's target number of general hauls. IMO, it's one of the stand-out aspects of strategy here. :-)
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, so I actually played a game of RT3 again. Had a crack at this one, since RoR reckons it's possible to get Gold on Expert. Still can't quite get it myself. It's probably doable, but would require getting the wool haulage bonus every year right from the start, which means the whole strategy has to be developed around that so you can get enough track to connect all towns.

The other haulage bonuses are too unreliable. Steel doesn't even exist until the game is almost finished, so you can't rely on the steel haulage bonus to get you far. The timber haulage bonus is a bit unreliable too, since production is drastically curtailed by event after ten years or so, and even before that there's not a lot of timber around anyway.

Track allowance is the killer for this scenario. Everything else is a piece of cake. The amount of money rolling in means that's no problem, so you end up just hanging around waiting for more track. Once you get a bit at the start of the next year you immediately use it up, so then you have to wait around for another year.

TBH, it's because of this sort of thing that limited track scenarios really aren't my favourite type. :-P

Gumboots
CEO

Ha. Thought I had Gold, but the author went and hid a Gold condition in the events without mentioning it anywhere in the briefings. That was nice of him. :roll:

Ok, so with a bit of luck, and with some micromanagement here and there (just to make sure you get at least one haulage bonus every year), this one would be winnable on Expert. At the moment I can't be bothered doing it again. I'm kinda over it. I like laying nice track for grades and curves, and using maintenance spurs too, and when you're skimping for track segments you can't play it like that. It basically becomes a case of throw down a little bit of track every January, then fast forward the rest of the year, and maybe shepherd the occasional wool or timber train to make sure it offloads before year end. Or if you just want a win you could bait and switch, which would make it pretty easy.