Panama Canal

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
belbincolne

Panama Canal Unread post

Good map and interesting idea behind this scenario. Gave it a try on Normal and got Silver. Its not my favourite type of scenario as I don't like micro-managing cargo - particularly when there's as many different ones needed as here. Think I got my strategy pretty well right from the outset but maybe not - I'll give it a try with an Industry start next to see if that does better.

Hope this will wet other players appetite and look forward to their views.
Wolverine@MSU

Re: Panama Canal Unread post

I was wondering when someone would step up and give some comments. I'm not much of a micromanagementophile myself, and it took me several tries to settle on the most efficient way of delivering the cargoes. One advantage to playing on Expert is that you can build the industries where you need them (not that you can't in easier levels too) and then run dedicated trains to the Canal Zone when the time comes. Did you install the customized Win and Lose videos?
belbincolne

No didn't. Very busy right now so took me several days to play and thought it might take me too long to do it :-(
Jeremy Mac Donald

So I just did my first try at this and I am very, very impressed. I even swapped out the video's for the win and loose condition. I've only really seen the win condition as I have either restarted or won a bronze so far. I love the little historical interludes that were included with the scenario but I there was none to tell us when the Canal was done? I now know all sorts of things about the canal except when the thing was actually finished!

I usually hate 'point'** type maps but I want to particularly commend you for how well organized and easy to follow yours was. It updated every year - told me exactly what I had done and even made it clear what I needed to do. This might be the first 'point' type scenario I have played that I can say that I really enjoyed.

** By point type maps I mean any scenario thats tracking 'victory points' in some manner.
Last edited by Jeremy Mac Donald on Thu May 07, 2009 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Mac Donald

Try #3 also ends in a friggen Bronze. This is a pretty tough scenario. Still I think I know a way to get myself at least in the running for silver. In that last attempt I had the 'Biggest Traffic jam in History' at Panama City - they'd be backed up for miles - it could take more then a year for a train to travel that last little bit and actually unload. I'd be stairing at the expanded train view and it'd be 'waiting for track to clear' for 30 odd trains. Next time I'll have half the trains go to a different station in the Canal zone. In fact I might use 3 stations just to keep congestion to a minimum.

I noticed what belbincolne means by micromanaging the trains as well. It seems to me the optimum method of trying to deliver cargo is to send the trains out with one extra cargo above the minimum quota (1 extra in case the train is late - it'd still have quota even if the quota happens to rise by 1) and that means going through every single train that has a custom consist bound for the Canal Zone. In my last game that was Trains #19 through #51. Thats a lot of trains to change the consist on every two years. Still I don't mind it that much in this scenario - but I'd hate to see this sort of thing become a common scenario feature.
Wolverine@MSU

Jeremy Mac Donald wrote:I love the little historical interludes that were included with the scenario but I there was none to tell us when the Canal was done?
Although the exact date of historical completion isn't mentioned per se, if you make the deliveries on time (by the end of 1914), a message should appear to say that the Canal opened on-time. If you don't make them until 1916 (the originally planned completion date) the message tells you that the Canal opened in 1914 and that you will not be able to earn a Gold medal. I forget now what it says if you miss even the 1916 deadline (I'm at work and don't have access to the map).

Having at least two stations in the Canal Zone is almost a necessity; one to handle traffic from the north, and one for traffic from the south. I also connected both stations to each "conduit" so I could utilize both stations from both directions. As traffic increases, you need to double-track to keep congestion down.

Glad you like the map and the scenario. I had intended to put in a few more messages during the construction years to track the historical progess, but got busy with other things and wanted to get this one off my desk. If there are enough comments to warrant a re-release, I will update the scenario and resubmit it.

If you want to have a peek at the "Lose" video, just use a cheat code.
belbincolne

Yes - if I ever get time to replay (now off on hol) shall connect one town south and the other north. Then double line. Then build another station south - double lined to most important producing centres and - maybe another north. But still hate the thought of all that micro-managing.
edbangor

Oh this map drove me !hairpull!

I thought I had it sussed.
Connect up all the source material you'll need. Then build a station just outside of the canel zone (while you can't get in) and build all the industries you need there.
Once the canel opens, ship everything in. Simple?
Well no, as the two canel stations (later four) lost interest in those shipments and would only take them from further away.
Anyway, I got really, really, REALLY close to a silver... but didn't.. Maybe next time. (When I'll organise my track better to)
andy-rails

I tried 3 times and always got bronze, i think Gold is quite impossible, as soon as you must pay 1100 dollars/year for 10 years to guarantee your access to Colombia (that is fundamental in this scenario)...got to do some other tries, im not in micromanagement too, too much deliveries to do, that is too much trains...btw an interesting scenario
RayofSunshine

Well Fellas,

It appears that the rest of you are not having much more success for the Gold than me. After a few attemps, and I do mean """"attempts""", I have found problems with all of them. Eithere shortage of revenue, congested depot, and especially that fee for Columbian access. I believe that this is the most challenging scenario which I have tried to play. Great historical agenda, and the chronilogical up-to-dates on the progress of a player.

Really a magnificent concept of imagination in creativity. :salute: {,0,}

!$th_u$! !*th_up*!