Close announcement>
New Announcement
Here be dragons! Also maniacs wildly experimenting with code.

NSWGR Locomotive roster

Creating and Editing Rollingstock
Gumboots
CEO

NSWGR Locomotive roster

Unread post by Gumboots »

Ok, tis done and it works. A decent all-purpose hauler for the 1850's and 1860's. !*th_up*!

I've given it an introduction year of 1850, even though the NSWGR didn't start using them until 1855. It was a pretty standard Stephenson unit of the period and would be suitable for any railway during the 1850's. Stats are in the ballpark but, as always, may get changed slightly after more extensive in-game testing.

It looks like this in the game:

Beauty_shot_1.jpg

Zip is attached, containing the usual bits that go in the usual places (Data/EngineTypes and Data/PopTopExtraContent).
Now I can get on with finishing the Blue Mountains revamp map. :-D
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Re: NSWGR 1 Class 0-4-2 & 8 Class 2-2-2WT

Have got its partner running too now: the 8 Class 2-2-2WT. This is basically an 1850's suburban tank, designed for passenger service.

This comes in 1858, which is when they were introduced in real life and is also about the right timing for an express loco in the Blue Mountains scenario. It still needs a bit more work on graphics (mainly frame detailing) and some tweaking of stats, but I'll knock that off over the weekend.

8_Class_suburban_tank_front.jpg
8_Class_suburban_tank_rear.jpg

Gumboots
CEO

Re: NSWGR 1 Class 0-4-2 & 8 Class 2-2-2WT

Well, that didn't happen. Got sidetracked with the scenario map itself (needed to track down a nasty little bug, among other things) and with other locos to go with these two.

The good news is other locos, as well as the 8 Class, shouldn't be far away. I've found that although the spreadsheets are good for number-crunching of stats, the effects of distance between stations and actual terrain means stats that might seem theoretically perfect when calculated often need slight adjustment for overall balance. This obviously means getting things running and testing them is the way to go.

I already have the 6N Class 4-4-0T ready for export, and will probably give it a test run tonight. This isn't 100% finished for detailing, but is certainly close enough to try it live and see what else needs doing. !*th_up*!

6N_more_progress.jpg

I'm finding the NSWGR locos in this period to be particularly easy and enjoyable to build and skin. All of them seem to work very nicely at a scale of 30 pixels per RT3 unit (IOW, 3 pixels per inch at full scale). This is a nice scale to work with because:

a/ it gives enough resolution for really good detailing, and
b/ it's easy on the brain, since multiplying and dividing by three is generally not difficult, so calculating sizes and positions of things for accuracy takes little time, and
c/ since they all work at the same scale, relevant parts and layer styles can be transferred between models to save time.

Some less critical components are being done at 20px/RT3 unit to save space on the image, but only where the lower resolution won't be noticeable. That's the same scale as the Pennsy H3, so still not too gruesome.

One thing I have noticed is that slight adjustments to layer styles can make a big difference. Take rivets as an example. A layer style that works well at 30px/RT3 unit won't work at 20px/RT3 unit. The latter rivets have to use a smaller brush to look right, and that messes with the layer styles because past a certain point there simply aren't enough pixels for the same style to work. However, by changing the angle of the light source for those particular rivets (and leaving the others alone) it seems to be possible to get them all looking good. It just comes down to trying a few things (ok, a lot of things) and seeing what works and what doesn't.

Gumboots
CEO

Re: NSWGR Locomotive roster

Got the beast running. Looks like this in the game:

OK_it_works.jpg

The attached zip contains all files for this beast and the 8 Class suburban tank, as well as revised EngineTypes files for the 1 Class (1 Class PK4 is attached to the first post). Stats for the 6N are straight from a spreadsheet and haven't had any significant testing yet, but since the spreadsheet was balanced with the updated stats for the 1 and 8 classes the 6N shouldn't be too far off the mark. Note that skinning for the 6N and 8 classes is still not quite finished for detailing, but is pretty good for now.

For a brief indication of use: the 1 Class is a general purpose unit. The 8 Class is obviously the express unit, and the 6N is primarily for freight. Compared to the 1 Class: the 6N is more expensive to buy, very slightly cheaper to run, has better acceleration, is stronger up grades with heavy loads, but is slower on flat terrain with light loads and has lower pax appeal.

Edit: Added an image showing actual stats. Since we know the game's stats pop-up is always wrong (even for default cargo cars) and since fuel economy rating tells you nothing without other information, the screenshot shows what running costs and speeds you can expect when hauling my custom cargo cars in the 1850's and early 1860's.

Actual_stats.jpg

The menu shown in the shot is a prototype for a menu I will release once stats are finalised. It can be opened in any browser and is more convenient in some ways than a spreadsheet. A list of locos can be compared easily, and each one can be expanded or collapsed simply by clicking on its header.

Tomix

Unread post by Tomix »

I have not been on here in years, and I'm amazed what I see from you Gumboots! Really incredible what you've made with the RT3 engine in mind. Do you do all of your texture work in photoshop? It looks like the classic handmade textures; something we don't see as much anymore.
Gumboots
CEO

Yep. All made in PS from scratch. I thinking I'm getting the hang of it. :-D

I've had to take a break from RT3 the past coupe of weeks due to other things, but should be ready for another binge soon.

Gumboots
CEO

Y'know I'm starting to get a hankering to do a bit more on these. I have delusions of doing most of the NSWGR classes, but realistically that would take ages. I think I can whip up a couple more though.