Close announcement>
New Announcement
Here be dragons! Also maniacs wildly experimenting with code.

Western Geatland (BETA)

Discussion about reviews and strategies for user created scenarios made for RT3 version 1.06.
Jacmob01

Western Geatland (BETA)

Unread post by Jacmob01 »

Hello everyone!

Had a recent urge to play RRT3 again and have decided to complete a scenario which I wanted to make a couple of years ago. Scenario has been made to function with 1.06 only but if there's interest for a 1.05 version I can try and remake the scenario to that version as well.

The scenario takes place in southwest Sweden, beginning in 1860. Your job will be to build both a sprawling railway empire and an industrial one too.
I've done 3 test-runs so far, achieving gold twice and barely bronze once. I have only been testing on normal difficulty.

Since its still a BETA feel free to come up with suggestions that can help me improve the scenario. When it comes to the actual map, I "cheated" when adding the lakes Vänern and Vättern by editing the grayscale map since I found it a bit difficult getting them in the right place in the editor :mrgreen:. I am planning on to add some rivers and lakes of smaller sizes in the future.

I will always upload the latest version to this post, latest upload was 13/12/2018
Last edited by Jacmob01 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Western Geatland (BETA)

Unread post by Gumboots »

Cool. I'll check it out.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

I don't have time to play it right at the moment, but I've had a look at it and it looks good.

I installed the original version, and as far as I can tell the Ä and Ö don't cause any problems for English speakers. The game appears to accept the special characters in the place names without any problems. This makes sense, because the heading in the RT3.lng file says this:
; Language file for Railroad Tycoon 3.
;
; All characters, including vowels with umlauts,
; graves, and other accents, should be supported.
I know that special characters in asset file names (.car files, .lco, etc) can cause problems, but they should be fine anywhere else. I think you can drop the (E) version of the map and use the correct place names without worrying. (0!!0)

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Unread post by RulerofRails »

Played it through, here's a couple thoughts:
Hard to think of anything other than an industry start here. At least in my case when I don't like building "thief" industries just a little up a resource stream from an existing industry. There is strategy in timing and balance of industry/rails. Casual test effort was 13 years. Never boomed either. But best part of my play was the notion of my cities-stations-only rail network trying to be distribution for my industries and planning around that.

Bug: In my test play I got the offer for Vara, even though I had already connected there.

Cause: "All territories" application for this event effectively tests if said city is connected to both Molala AND Sweden.

Fix: Set the territory to Sweden.

Also: the text for those events is too long for the space provided. The top option is covered and there is overflow as well.

Same things apply to the Karlsborg offer.

Port/warehouse conversion could be tweaked:
Cotton isn't going to be produced well with this setup even if somebody takes the careful trouble to make Steel, Machinery, and then deliver it. If you just made it for eye-candy please ignore this section.

The problems are like this:
1. The conversion isn't profitable. Prices vary but Machinery is ~$300 and Cotton ~$70.
2. It has very little demand by volume, as seen by a small green triangle. If I deliver Machinery, there's a good chance that any other industry in that town will divert that precious cargo. If it does make it, there's a big risk that price will drop there quicker than conversion takes place, so any train on auto consist - haul anything is likely to re-haul the "stack" waiting for conversion.

Fix:
1. Set the Annual supply value to 4. This will make the conversion 1:4. 1 load of Machinery = 4 loads of Cotton. This is of course limited by the Maximum annual production value in the top right corner. So it will still be a max of 2 loads Cotton.
2. We just made the problem worse to get a profitable conversion. The method to fix this is to add a new "Demand only" function to take Machinery. Set this to "2." Whenever Machinery is present, it will be taken equally by the conversion and demand only functions. So we are simulating the written effect in RT3 world.

Side-note: In searching up Milo's price info I found that "Custom-placed ports and warehouses do not contribute to cargo availability, but ports and warehouses potentially generated by a region do."

Oilcan and others have made maps with for example the Steel Mill enabled in the build list because they were only manually placing their ports/warehouses. Obviously, it's possibly to manually place where you want, but dummy the system: set a region without any water to seed a port. Now we can have Steel without having the Steel Mill ticked in the industry availability list! !*th_up*!
Jacmob01

I've now uploaded a small fix that adressed the bug issues with the city connection events, originally there wasn't a separate territory for Motala but I'd forgotten to change the events. I have also shortened the event text for Vara so it hopefully doesn't cover up the first option :-)

As for the port I've changed to only demanding machinery for now, must admit that I didn't really think about an even exchange :lol:

Updated versions will always be found at the very first post, I've also removed the (E) version as it was deemed uneccessary
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, cool. Some more questions now arise. :-D

1/ The port is supplying Rubber, but that cargo is only used to make Tires, and Tires are only used to make Automobiles and late era Weapons.
Your scenario ends in 1885, so no Automobiles, and no requirement for Tires to make Weapons. So, why have Rubber supplied?

2/ Why do the ports demand Machinery? What do you get as a reward for shipping it there?

Given that there seems to be limited Coal and Iron and Ore available, there's probably more cash in just making Goods and shipping those anywhere. Goods is demanded by all houses on the map, so is always a reliable source of easy income. Particularly since before 1875 you don't even need Steel to make Goods, and can haul Iron straight to your Tool and Die. Machinery is more difficult to produce, so it's often not worth the trouble unless there is some specific incentive.

Even if people do produce it there is no real incentive to ship it to the ports because, like Goods, it is demanded by all houses on the map, so it makes more sense to just haul it anywhere that has a decent price differential. If you want to encourage people to produce Machinery, and ship it to the ports, it's probably a good idea to require it as part of some sort of goal.

3/ The map seems to seed with a lot of Textile Mills, but not much Wool. This means you won't really be able to run a mill of your own (too much fighting over Wool). Maybe reinstate the extra cotton supply from the ports.

Edit: 4/ You have the Electronics Plant enabled for four cities, but it has no use in this scenario's timeframe. Ditto for the Auto Plant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something you may not be aware of: with the ability to start multiple companies, this map encourages a robber baron start. For example, you can easily trash a few companies and then start playing with $3 million in company cash. You can then create another company and start that at the other end of the map, so you have two lots of widely separated track that you can build from. Merge the second company back into your first, and off you go. Lots of company cash, excellent credit rating, and the ability to build from both ends of the map. :mrgreen:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a fault with this map, but once again I'm reminded of how buggy 1.06 is. Those quarries always produce Crystals, but on the vast majority of maps Crystals are a completely useless cargo, so they just sit around and clutter up the interface for no benefit. *!*!*!

It's probably worth making a custom .bca file for quarries, so that on most maps they simply don't produce Crystals and people don't have to worry about them. And don't get me started on that !!&@% Furnace. I can tell that if I play this scenario through I'll be wanting to customise the 1.06 industry chain again.

Gumboots
CEO

Haven't had a chance to play this one yet, but it has me thinking. We did talk, ages ago, about possibly splitting the 1.06 Furnace into two separate industries (Rock processor and Ore processor). It really needs it to make sense, and this would be an ideal map to test the idea on. If there was a dedicated Ore processor, the industry chain on this map would be far more likely to encourage production of Machinery. I'm tempted to try it. Offhand I'm not sure what price adjustments would make sense, but can wing it to start with.

The other thing I got curious about is what locomotives were used in the area in this period. Turns out the initial freight locos (F-loken) were basically a DX Goods. Not exactly the same, but pretty close. This makes the 1.06 version the natural choice for early freight, which gives me an incentive to get the fixed version running.

The express locos (A-loken) were nearly identical to the NSWGR T14 class (see pix in this post). Same builder, namely Beyer-Peacock, and only a couple of years apart. There are some minor differences, but nothing major. It seems to have been a standard Beyer-Peacock export express loco of the period. One is still in existence (photos halfway down this page - 24th May 2015). So that would be a fun thing to get running too. !*th_up*!

Jacmob01

Haven't had time to work on the scenario the past week, and I'm about to go on vacation for about 2 weeks so the scenario won't be worked on for some time. :-) I've read through your suggestions thought and I'm gonna plan out some changes during the time that I'm not by my computer tho :idea:
Gumboots
CEO

Cool. Holidays are a good thing. :-D