Boldly going where no hawkdawg.com has gone before

News and announcements about the Forum and Web Site will be posted here.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Boldly going where no hawkdawg.com has gone before Unread post

If you're only using FF for YouTube and you want speed, Chrome would probably be a better choice. If I was only using a browser for watching vids I wouldn't be too fussed about the interface. It's not really relevant in that situation, especially when you go full screen on a video.

Opera is quite nice. Definitely nicer than Chrome IMO. If I didn't have Pale Moon available I could see Opera being my next choice these days.

I don't run many add-ons myself, so Pale Moon is fine for me in that respect. I use Adblock Latitude, Speed Dial, and Hide Title Bar Plus for the basics. The latter is one of my favourites, because it lets me have maximum screen space combined with maximum functionality. It's far better (IMO) than the current FF and Chrome/Opera gui's. Ditto the original Speed Dial add-on. It's streets ahead of the Chrome and Opera versions.

I also run an old build of Stylish (from before it went spyware) for cases where I want to override a site's CSS with custom code. The only other add-ons I use are for dev work (ColorZilla, Web Developer, DOM Inspector, MeasureIt, User Agent Switcher).

And speaking of code, phpBB's javascript on textareas is annoying me. They have some jerky javascript which bounces the size of the thing up when you run out of space. Can't remember where that code came from, but it's an idea I remember from years back. I looked at using it for something, but decided it was too annoying to bother with. It still is. :D
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, I gave Waterfox a run. Not that impressed. GUI is typical Chrome/Firefox. Not customisable enough, with a meh default. Doesn't seem to be particularly fast or slow compared to Pale Moon. I'll stick with my favourite. :)
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 pm If you're only using FF for YouTube and you want speed, Chrome would probably be a better choice.
The main reason I use Firefox for You Tube is because of an add-on called YouTube Downloader. I prefer to download videos to watch at my leisure. It also helps keep Google limited to what it spys on with me, since I don't allow Google to run any scripts in the other two browsers, which helps keep their spying down to a bare minimum, if any.

I have a rather unhealthy disdain for Google. :mrgreen:
Hawk