Boldly going where no hawkdawg.com has gone before

News and announcements about the Forum and Web Site will be posted here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: Boldly going where no hawkdawg.com has gone before Unread post

ACP works fine but when I click on the FAQ link I get this message:
Failed to write cache file "./cache/production/twig/05/05179fe919880f3f26e32289d6aed67038c7213cee96cef4524ce75134584726.php".
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

The links for The Team and Members also gives a white page.
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

OK! Everything seems to be working fine now. No more white pages anywhere and the FAQ page shows fine.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yep. I finished downloading the tarball and deleted it. It was just the automatic server management grumbling because I'd stolen too much disc space.

I've let the head honcho know what the story was. I'll grab another gig of storage for the first year, just to give more headroom for exceptional circumstances. Can review it after that and see if it's still necessary. I can probably figure out cunning workarounds, to enable partial backups that will stay within the lower limit.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Hawk
The Big Dawg

I see you use PaleMoon. I used to use it but found another variation of Firefox called Waterfox. So far I like it better.
Hawk
RulerofRails
Dispatcher

My default browser at the moment is also Waterfox.

PS. Quick reply is easy for comments like this. :)
Gumboots
CEO

Yes it's a handy thing. Only catch is that Hawk's smiley codes aren't the usual web defaults, so that'll trip you up all the time. :D

I might make some new ones that use the usual defaults. That way old posts won't break but new ones might be easier.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

You can change the codes to whatever you want in the ACP>Posting>Smilies.

I like Waterfox better than PaleMoon, and definitely better than Firefox. In my opinion, Firefox has dropped to something a bit less than enjoyable.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Yes I was having a look at that interface. I was thinking that if I define some extra ones (which don't have to be shown on the posting form) then people can just use the normal codes:

Code: Select all

:)
:D
;)
:P
etc
And they can be assigned to duplicates of the images that are currently called by:

Code: Select all

:-)
:-D
;-)
:-P
etc
That will keep all existing smiley content the same, but will correct up any cases where people meant to use a common smiley, but didn't use this site's particular codes for them.

I had a look a round the Waterfox site. I still prefer Pale Moon's interface. Waterfox is more like the later FF versions, which are too close to the Chrome GUI for my liking.

But I agree that Firefox itself isn't what it used to be. The other day I had to change some coding because it blew to pieces in Firefox, despite being stable with Webkit and Goanna. It also blew to pieces in IE. That didn't bother me, but I figured I had to fix it for Firefox, and that required using code that would work in IE. Go figure.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

What I like about Waterfox is the ability to use more Firefox add-ons than PaleMoon allows.
I've tried numerous browsers, Chromium and Gecko based, and I don't think Waterfox is anything like a Chromium based browser. I personally don't like Chromium based browsers, although I do use Opera.

I know you folks will find this a bit extreme *!*!*! but I actually use 3 different browsers. I use Firefox for You Tube [only] (and man, is it slow these days). I use Opera for all financial related stuff (bank, PayPal, eBay, etc), and Waterfox for everything else.
Kind of keeps all the spying crap to related stuff.
Weird, HUH? ^**lylgh
Hawk