A few small changes.

News and announcements about the Forum and Web Site will be posted here.
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Re: A few small changes. Unread post

I changed the color of my sig but it's hard to get a color that looks good on a dark and light background.

I do think the color needs to be changed for Registered Users. That maroon-like color doesn't work real well on the dark background. Same with the Global Moderators, although I don't think there's any Global Moderators set up.

Again, finding a color that looks good on dark and light backgrounds is the trick.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Hawk wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:35 amI do think the color needs to be changed for Registered Users. That maroon-like color doesn't work real well on the dark background.
That's funny, because to me it looks much better. The bright red was taking over the whole page. I find the maroon distinct but better for balance. But the downside is that it's fairly close to the admin brown on the light backgrounds.
Same with the Global Moderators, although I don't think there's any Global Moderators set up.
Was thinking about that. With the low activity these days there's no real need for moderators, and Milo and Ned haven't been around for yonks anyway. It occurred to me that just having admin and normal members is probably good enough.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Gumboots
CEO

Have gone ahead and removed the board moderators. The groups are still there, in case they are ever needed. I've also hidden the groups legend down the bottom of the main page as there's not much point having it. Everyone is in the normal members group, apart from admins, and they're pretty obvious.

I'm also rearranging some of the boards a bit. I figure it makes sense to have things like guidelines as announcements in the newbies board. That way nobody can miss them. Fewer boards up top also means less stuff to scroll past if you just want to talk about the game, so most of the time it should be more convenient.

Gumboots
CEO

Hey what do you think of this look?

Testing_dark.jpg

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Is there any option for strike-through? I want to correct some out-dated info in one of my old posts without removing completely what was there originally. Maybe there is a reason it's not here and I forgot it with time?

PS
I tried the dark theme some more, but can't get used to it yet. I would say your shot is an improvement, but I haven't got any attachment to the darkside at the moment. :lol: I did notice that some smilies don't have crisp edges and you can see bits of white around them when in dark mode. But I suppose this is immediately visible to anyone. :salute:
Gumboots
CEO

Yeah they're gif's, and gif's don't do partial transparency, so people fill in the jaggy bits with a colour that more or less matches the background. Which works fine as long as you don't change the background. :D

I'm not planning on forcing anyone to use the dark theme. I just like having it as an option.

I added a custom BBCode for strike through. It's at the bottom of the custom dropdown thingy. Or you can type it manually if you're using the quick reply.

Works like this.

Code: Select all

[strike]Works like this.[/strike]

I've played around with the look and layout a bit more, I like having the site menu separate from the forum stuff (seems to make sense) so that's gone to the top of the page. Have also messed with the header, so there aren't so many separate pieces. I like the banner and navbar in one unit.

Have also played with typography and layout a bit on the boards section. This is all just CSS so far. I haven't done any template hacking. Once I get it rationalised I'm thinking I'll use the same basic setup for light and dark styles, and just change colours to suit. !*th_up*!

Testing_dark_2.jpg

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Thanks for the strike code. :D

Off-topic: What are the restrictions on the advanced search and ignored words? Some words like "industry" are ignored. Which maybe is fine because who would search just that. But sometimes when I do a search I want to put something like "industry profit" and it's not possible from what I can tell. Is that something that saves server bandwidth (a good thing). I have no idea, just wondering if the update did anything for search capabilities?
Gumboots
CEO

Dunno. Haven't looked at the search settings yet. Hang on and I'll go check.

Gumboots
CEO

Gave it a tweak. See if that helps.

RulerofRails
Dispatcher

Thanks for looking. I tried a bit, not sure I saw a difference. It is a minor thing for sure. Don't make a change just cause of my whim. I wont be online for some hours now, so don't be surprised about that. :)