Endowing hawkdawg?

Questions and comments about the website and forum.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Endowing hawkdawg? Unread post

Yes those are very good points. Quite honestly, the technical ability to run a site like this is not a very high bar to clear, providing you have a good host who provides proper tech support when you need it, and providing you keep software up to date. Any of the regulars could handle it if they put their minds to it, although there may be a bit of a learning curve involved.

It is generally good practice to have two admins, or at least a backup person who can get admin when necessary. I know Blackhawk has forum admin here and has had it for yonks, but am not sure how he's placed these days.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
low_grade
Hobo

I'm not sure anybody wants to get so serious as to, say, start a Hawkdawg foundation with a board of directors to oversee the website, or start a transferrable business to own the rights to the domain name and host, or whatever else may be involved. Though I'm sure you're right in the long run, for now I'm just happy that the conversation has started and it appears Gumboots is currently willing and able to take over the maintenance of the forum, file directory, and other aspects of Hawgkdawg, and Hawk is comfortable letting Gumboots have a go at it. If we're all still here occasionally at least in a decade or two, then everything is alright in the world, lol!
Gumboots
CEO

No we don't need a foundation or anything that extreme. We can just use common sense for now.

Gumboots
CEO

Did a bit of looking around. Can get a standard package with someone I know is solid, for a bit under $5US/month. That will allow about 25% margin on storage, and over 100% margin on bandwidth, which should keep the place out of trouble for a few more years. !*th_up*!

Hawk
The Big Dawg

That's a pretty good price.
Hawk
Blackhawk
Brakeman

Gumboots wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm It is generally good practice to have two admins, or at least a backup person who can get admin when necessary. I know Blackhawk has forum admin here and has had it for yonks, but am not sure how he's placed these days.
Sorry... I've been MIA recently. Had some deadlines with work projects and then projects around the house that took up a lot of my time. But I'm around if needed for things; however, it's been 10-15 years since I've worked with anything forum/website related.
Gumboots
CEO

Ok, No worries. (0!!0)

Gumboots
CEO

If anyone is curious: I've just paid the domain up for another year, and am currently making some inquiries about hosting. The site will be moving to a new server sometime in the next few weeks.

This may involve a bit of downtime while things are shifted around and the web figures out where they have gone to, but it should all sort itself out in a day or two. I'll post a notice when it's about to begin. !*th_up*!

RayofSunshine

Well Congratulations Gumboots on your accepting to host the website. :salute: {,0,}