Endowing hawkdawg?

Questions and comments about the website and forum.
Gumboots
CEO

Re: Endowing hawkdawg? Unread post

The usual problem with those methods is timeout limits. Forum ACP's are usually only intended to get beginners on their feet, while the site is small and they're learning how to admin it. It's assumed they don't yet know how to use other methods. phpMyAdmin is obviously more advanced, but still has timeout limits set in the config file. If you have access to the config file you can temporarily change the limits for special cases like large imports. You can also import a db table by table if you want to break it down further, or even do consecutive partial imports of the one table.

I've used all of those methods for db's up to around 20 meg, after messing with settings, but I'm well out of practice with that stuff and would have to swot up again. Really it's best to skip the ACP and phpMyAdmin for larger db's. There are umpteen other ways you can do it. !*th_up*!

Moving the site shouldn't be a problem. Might want some tips on how you've set the site up and how the custom scripts work, but nothing major.

Might be able to get a cheaper package, but honestly I avoid like the plague anyone who offers "unlimited" storage and/or bandwidth for a few bucks a month. They're invariably oversellers, and won't give you anything like what they promise if you end up really needing it. They frequently also have terrible tech support. I'd rather pay for an extra carton of beer a year and have something solid.
Gumbootz Lokomotivfabrik und Bierkeller

LMR Samson 0-4-0 - Pennsy H3 Consolidation - Custom double tank cars set
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pm The usual problem with those methods is timeout limits. Forum ACP's are usually only intended to get beginners on their feet, while the site is small and they're learning how to admin it. It's assumed they don't yet know how to use other methods. phpMyAdmin is obviously more advanced, but still has timeout limits set in the config file. If you have access to the config file you can temporarily change the limits for special cases like large imports. You can also import a db table by table if you want to break it down further, or even do consecutive partial imports of the one table.
I'm guessing then that you would try to find a host that allows you access to the config file. Making a back up of the database isn't a problem.
Gumboots wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pmMoving the site shouldn't be a problem. Might want some tips on how you've set the site up and how the custom scripts work, but nothing major.
I can give you access to the ACP here and you can look around all you want. I can also give you FTP access and access to the hosting CP.
Gumboots wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 pmMight be able to get a cheaper package, but honestly I avoid like the plague anyone who offers "unlimited" storage and/or bandwidth for a few bucks a month. They're invariably oversellers, and won't give you anything like what they promise if you end up really needing it. They frequently also have terrible tech support. I'd rather pay for an extra carton of beer a year and have something solid.
I agree about those unlimited offers. That's a marketing ploy. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. Where they get you is in the ToS system resource usage.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

I might start by setting up this version of phpBB on local host, just to get back into practice a bit.

Hawk
The Big Dawg

BTW! I should mention: The first of Nov. is when my reseller fees are due. I'll need to pay them anyway because of the other sites so there's no rush to do this.
Gumboots wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:38 pm I might start by setting up this version of phpBB on local host, just to get back into practice a bit.

If you can find it. They're currently at 3.2.3
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Which version is this anyway? I can't find it in the page source code.

They'll have archived versions somewhere on their site. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Edit: Found them. https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/

Hawk
The Big Dawg

This version is 3.2
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

Gumboots wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:43 pm Edit: Found them. https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/
You'll want 3.2.0
Hawk
Hawk
The Big Dawg

It just dawned on me that it might be a good idea to NOT get in too big of a hurry. I currently run all my email through this domain, and I have a few email addresses that I'll have to go through and update contacts and forums and such to a new email address.

I'll have to pay the full amount for the reseller fees anyway this year.
Hawk
Gumboots
CEO

Sure. No rush. Like I said I'm out of practice anyway. Haven't done this sort of thing for quite some time. I'll start playing with stuff on local and refreshing my memory. !*th_up*!

Hawk
The Big Dawg

Just let me know if you need FTP access for some reason, or the hosting CP access or the forum ACP.
Hawk